Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daisydawnny

Tornado took it all

daisydawnny
11 years ago

We had a F1 tornado here in Elmira NY... took out my ws babies...tomatoes and all. Took my greenhouse, shed and fence. House is good. Could have been worse, but I am heart broken for the plants I have nurtured over the years. Guess there is always next year.

Comments (13)

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    11 years ago

Awwww, I'm sorry. I know how bad that feels, Mother Nature is mean sometimes. Just please remember, the most important thing is no one was hurt. Your home is OK. You can grieve for the garden (especially those tomatoes), then go out and clean up, make it right again.

Hopefully your insurance covers your greenhouse and your fence, that would help in a big way to take the sting out of it.

Summer storms. I've never lived anyplace to experience those, our nightmare of a storm that left the whole community without power for days here was Dec 2007, I don't ever want to relive that one.

And you're right, there is always the next year, and the next, our gardens are ever changing and it's not always us doing it intentionally. Again, I'm sorry.

• northerner_on
    11 years ago

So sorry to hear of the loss of your garden. As said above, you have to be thankful that your family survived and they are all well. Just take your time and start over, by next year you should have seedlings to fill your beds again. Nature runs things in cycles, and you will have your garden again. Good luck!!

• pippi21
    11 years ago

So sorry for the loss of your garden. When you're ready, I'm sure that other gardeners will share their seeds with you. I will be glad to share some seeds with you when you are ready.
    Make up a new Wish list and post it in GW your "My page)

• daisydawnny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone. Clean up will begin this weekend. I am anxious to return to some state of normal.

• ladyrose65
    11 years ago

Glad to hear you are okay Daisy, that was one mean storm. It took down a lot of trees here. The electric was down a day.

But, WSing is alway fun to start anew. Many Blessing!

Sincerely,
    Ladyrose

• remy_gw
    11 years ago

DaisyDawn,
    So sorry about what happened. I saw pics on FB since I'm in WNY. I almost couldn't believe it. It is sad, but that goodness you and your home are ok.
    Remy

• daisydawnny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Remy,

It was hard to believe....we don't get tornado's here. Just shows how strange the weather has been. Adjuster comes out this afternoon, I can not wait to clean up and see if there are any plants I can salvage.

• christie_sw_mo
    11 years ago

I have wondered what kind of damage a tornado does to perennials and shrubs. Does it pull them up roots and all or are the tops just gone? I hope at least some of your plants come back. I would be heartbroken too.

I've also wondered if insurance would cover things like plants but have never checked into it. Let us know how it goes with the adjuster. Sounds stressful.

• aquadragonfly
    11 years ago

I ditto the update your wants/wish list I will share anything I can too.

Sorry you went through that it is terrible.

Hope the clean up goes quickly and you find you really didn't lose as much as you think you did.

Aqua

• daisydawnny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You guys are the best! Clean up is going ok. Still lots to do. The strong survive and some of my green babies are bouncing back. I hope we have another seed trade this year...I may not have much to share from the garden but will find seed to trade...It is amazing to see a plant that has had trees fall on it rally back to life. Yep, winter sown plants are tough, no doubt about it. New greenhouse is ordered and on it's way (thats where I prep and sow my seeds) basically my woman cave, lol.

• docmom_gw
    11 years ago

I'm sure you just have to ask and we would all send you care packages. No need to worry about having seed to trade with us. Remember, we're addicts when it comes to seed collecting, so we'll have plenty to spare for a friend in need.

Martha

• TraceyOKC
    11 years ago

Tornados can be very scary. Im so glad your house is ok and Im sorry your garden/yard got hit so bad.

If you need anything I would be happy to share.

Tracey

• topsiebeezelbub
    11 years ago

Belated, but so sorry. We have had 3 big tornadoes here in 2 years, so I know how it feels! Were without power for over a week, and we got power first since we are near the hospital...many folks lost everything, so we were blessed...thank goodness it was warm weather and greenhouse plants didn't freeze. The worst damage comes from hundred year old trees crashing down on top of smaller trees and bushes, or even houses. Perennials will make a comeback. We've lost 10 big trees, so far. I try and see the good side...more sun! but sometimes it makes you wonder if its all worth it!

Sponsored