Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beachgrub

question about rose campion

beachgrub
11 years ago

Are first year RC supposed to stay small clumps of wooly foliage?

Comments (10)

• northforker
    11 years ago

Though I think I remember some blooming the first year if I got them in the ground early enough, your good - sized and tidy bunches look like they are going to put on a fantastic display next year. They will reseed (and you can collect seed for other spots) and you will soon have a landscape with bunches of these real pretty yet tough troopers. One of my favorite flowers. Long lasting in the garden and a bit different, plus that nice foliage.

• northerner_on
    11 years ago

In my zone, they bloom the second year. They are also a favourite of mine and I have 3 varieties. I sow them very close together to give a big show, then cut them back and they will give a smaller show later in the summer and I will scatter seeds from those blooms. You may get volunteers but they are easy to pull.

• beachgrub
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks you guys, just making sure mine are behaving properly. I've heard there are more colors so i'm keeping my eyes peeled for those seeds.

• pippi21
    11 years ago

Once they bloom, you'll have an abundance of seeds from them to share with others and they bloom the second year for me here in MD. That magenta color is so pretty. I have some blooming now and it is easy to harvest their seeds.

• northforker
    11 years ago

I noticed some of my are giving me a second show right now (after blooming early in the summer) I have lots of the magenta and a little bit of the white and I am determined to save and sow more seed from the white to get more!

• doubleAmom
    11 years ago

Sadly, I couldn't get my rose campion seedlings to do anything this year. I still have some seeds so will try again next year! **sigh**

• KavaDulce
    11 years ago

Aw man...I'm ashamed to admit how many I ripped up just last week because I figured they were just some of my WS failures (I had many plants not grow past a couple inches this year). Thankfully, I have a few left... :-/

• daisydawnny
    11 years ago

Love mine! They thrive in my river bed clay soil and never disappoint!

• silverkelt
    11 years ago

Two years here as well.. as is many a thing anyways.. as our growing season is just too short. I sadly cut mine back after they were done flowering, becuase so many people told me it was a garden thug, I was thinking a smaller flowering the next year would supply enough seeds, but alas it did nothing in its 3rd year.. I got a small crop this year however, maybe it will spread a little.

{{gwi:216707}}

• northforker
    11 years ago

Finally got around to cutting the dried seed pods this past weekend and I clearly "missed" the prime seed collecting time on these. Usually the pods are just full of seed (like a ripe poppy pod) but these had lost a lot already. Hopefully, they fell close to the mother plant and will germinate in the garden in the spring all on there own. I did get a tiny zip lock (couple of teaspoons and that probably should be plenty to start what I want for next year,) but I was so hoping to share a ton of this great flower seed!