Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tiffy_z5_6_can

WS Perennial Bloomers (pics)

tiffy_z5_6_can
16 years ago

Just thought I'd show you some of my favourites in the gardens right now.

Of course, my pride and joy... Blue Himalayan Poppies.

{{gwi:361772}}

{{gwi:421515}}

Baptisia Australis blooming for the first time. Love it!

{{gwi:421516}}

Lynchnis Viscaria Splendens Fever (German Chatchfly) as a border.

{{gwi:282166}}

Lynchnis getting to know Brookside Geranium (not wsn).

{{gwi:421517}}

The delicate Thalictrum.

{{gwi:346667}}

Siberian Varbascum in part shade. It's as tall as I am - 5'6". I'm planning on placing some in the sun next year!

{{gwi:421518}}

Nicole.

Comments (19)

• bakemom_gw
    16 years ago

WHat a treat! and how about those blue poopies...that really is a fantastic achievement. Congrats on your success!

• stage_rat
    16 years ago

Beautiful! I love the border of German Catchfly. Now there's another Lychnis to put on my Wants list!

Does the Verbascum bloom yellow?

• carrie630
    16 years ago

tiffy - your flowers and gardens are gorgeous and everything looks so healthy (unlike mine....) I always enjoy your photos - Those blue poppies are outstanding

Carrie

• PVick
    16 years ago

So beautiful! The poppies - oooooh!

I love seeing pictures of folks' gardens! But it's pics like yours that get me in so much trouble - I want to try all those plants too!

PV

• lindakimy
    16 years ago

Wow. That is just a different world.

• kqcrna
    16 years ago

Gorgeous, Tiffy! Congratulations on those poppies. The geranium/lychnis mix is outstanding, too. Your gardens are always so pretty- I wonder if it's all that compost or is your thumb really green?

Karen

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone! :O)

Stage Rat,
    The Verbascum does bloom yellow. Supposedly a biennial. It just started blooming today and the colour is really nice, but I grew it mainly for the WOW factor of the leaves.

I like this Lynchnis for the border. A few WS Columbines bloom in this area at the same time and some Forget Me Nots, but everything else is late season - Phlox, Cimicifuga, Aconitum, Astilbes, etc - and by the time those are blooming the Lynchnis have been trimmed and their nice foliage marks the front of the border. They are also a wonderful food scource for bees, hummingbird moths, and butterflies at this time.

Carrie,

Oh, don't you say that!! Remember, I've seen pics of your paradise and it's truly wonderful!

PV,
    Go for it girl!! You can do it!! LOL!

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Not sure if I have a green thumb, but the compost surely helps. No doubt about that. I didn't get to apply it to all the gardens this year (I apply it as mulch now), so far due to time and as I walk through I can really tell the difference.

My thumb is actually mostly brown with dirt and compost these days. :O)

Thanks!

• bonnys
    16 years ago

Tiffy, that Himalayan poppy is gorgeous! I also love the catchfly/geranium combo. Very pretty gardens. Thanks for sharing.
    Bonny

• pitimpinai
    16 years ago

Show off! :-P lol. You must know that we can't grow Himalayan poppies in the Midwest. lol. Gorgeous garden. Everything looks so pretty.

How does Brookside compare with Rozanne? Does it bloom longer than Rozanne? I like the combo of your Brookside with Lychnis. What kind of Lychnis is that one?

• trudi_d
    16 years ago

I'm so glad you shared picts of the Himalayan poppy plants. I planted out a flat of them this year and their leaves weren'yt what I had expected. Now I see that they're the same as yours. Hopefully mine will survive this climate.

Lovely garden, the lychnis border is eye candy.

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Bonny!

Piti,

I know that in the midwest it would be very difficult to grow those blue beauties. :O( In my second year of winter sowing, I inquired about them, and someone responded that I would also not be able to grow them, but I discovered that there was a garden full of them in Montreal and since my mother is originally from there, she encouraged me to try. She figured if they were able to grow in the Montreal area, then I should be able to grow them too. She was right!

This is my first year with Brookside. After taking this picture, we had a heavy rain and she plopped. I don't know if I have Rozanne - I might. I buy a lot of things for cheap at yard sales/plant sales, and end of year. Today I picked up 2 White Astilbes and a Goldstrum Rudbeckia in gallon pots for just $1.00 each. They were in the 'dud' pile at a garden center. I know I already have over 7 nice footings of White Astilbes in the gardens from WSing, but I took pity on them. Don't have Goldstrum yet so that one is a bonus. Usually there's no tags on what I get from the 'dud' pile and I know I got geraniums last year...

The Lynchnis is Lynchnis Viscaria Splendens Fever - German Catchfly. I will have lots of seeds available soon!

• lblack61
    16 years ago

Tiffy,
    Something about that Baptisia Australis hits me just right...I love how the leaves are similar to the shape of the blooms. And ditto on the German Catchfly/Hardy Geranium mix. The Catchfly complements the HG really well.
    And for the Blue Himalayan Poppies... "I'm not worthy..." You should be proud :-)

Linda

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Linda,

It's the Bapstisia's third year and out of 5 plants, these two are the only ones to bloom. The colours are truly beautiful. I will let them go to seed as I've been told the pods are interesting. (Seeds = hint, nod, wink, nudge. LOL!) Two others will be left in place, and the fifth will be moved to another bed soon since I now know this plant is to be seen at all times!

And I humbly must state that I am proud of those Blue Poppies. They've had quite a few visitors in the last few days. Everyone wants to see them.

Thanks!

• vera_eastern_wa
    16 years ago

Too pretty Tiffy!! The border is lovely and the Himalayan Poppy is a knock out :D

Vera

• bern_2007
    16 years ago

Tiffy, you have a way with flowers. Your thumbs and fingers must be very green.

• mnwsgal
    16 years ago

Tiffy, your poppies are so beautiful.

I ws Himalayan poppies two winters ago and had excellent germination. The plants looks so great when planted in a bed last fall. Unfortunately, out of more than a dozen none survived this past MN winter.

The few seeds I had left were planted this spring. They take a long time to germinate and grow. Hopefully I will have some to overwinter in the garage.

I know that they are not good growers in the midwest but love to experiment so had to give them a whirl.
    Bobbie

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Bobbie,

You sound like me - 'had to experiment and give them a whirl'. You never know. Sometimes the right things come into play!!

• icotte
    16 years ago

Very beautiful Tiffy! I would love to try the Blue Himalayan Poppies and the German Catchfly. Please keep me in mind when you have some seeds to trade. My one and only bad seed trade was for some Blue Himalayan Poppy seeds. I never got them. I have some peach colored Astilbes. Hopefully I'll get some seeds from them.

Melba

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting