Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northforker

So pretty, then soooo ugly

northforker
12 years ago

Anyone else waiting for pathetic, burned out poppies to dry their seed? I have one area where I let the poppies (a bunch of variaties) reseed every year; it has some calandula, tall strawflowers and Euphorbia "snow on the mountain" that reseed too. I add in lots of tall zinnias once the poppies are done and pulled, but waiting for that to happen is trying my patience!!! I tried to do some weeding in the bed (I don't have a good edge and it gets full of grass) and it's so hard not to pull up poppies with the weeds.

Anyone else wishing their poppies a fast death?

Comments (8)

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

I WS white peony poppies last year & grew them in a container to see if I liked them enough to find a spot in a bed for more. That was it. That ratty foliage + short bloom sealed their fate. Anything I put effort into growing has to reward me for the hard work and those just don't. Other short-blooming perennials with stunning flowers at least have foliage that stays decent or else dies back & out of sight the rest of the season.

• northforker
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yeah, I am coming around to that feeling Eileen!!! or maybe a half way stance - - BUY poppie seed and throw it out there in late winter. This way I can just pull the spent plants once they bloom, not having to look at this incredibly sad mess.

I do love the peony poppy flowers I've got, but the bloom time sure is quick. We were on vacation from 7/13 to 7/28 and they were ready to burst when we left, completely done when we returned. It just might be that the spot I have them in is baking hot and thye don't love it.

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Last year was my first to WS and I ordered seeds from Hazzards. I posted a picture of one in bloom and everyone loved it but the overall experience was a huge disappointment. Now I'm a bit more thorough when I research a new-to-me perennial I might want to WS. What works best for me are things that are tough as nails, long-blooming and low-maintenance. The only things I baby a bit are hydrangeas & astilbe--I water those during the hot, dry summer months. Most everything else has to thrive on neglect.

• terrene
    12 years ago

Annual poppies do have a short bloom period. But the pollinators absolutely love the rich pollen in the blooms. And they're gorgeous! Last year I direct-sowed them in March, but didn't sow any this year because I couldn't get the bed prepped in time due to shoulder tendonitis.

I pulled the plants when the blooms were done. Can you pull up all but a few seed pods?

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    12 years ago

'Can you pull up all but a few seed pods?' Not a bad idea considering there's gazillion seeds in each pod, eh?

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

I'm having trouble with seed saving too. They keep shriveling down to nothing.

• dorisl
    12 years ago

Poppies are poopie. They're always small and disappointing and the flwoers last a DAY and then they're a hot mess. I don't even think Ill bother again.

Im cutting them off BEFORE they make any seeds.

• silverkelt
    12 years ago

I never really see this problem with mine..

However, I grew Candy Mountain foxglove a couple years ago.. the blooms were everything I thought it would be , lush fantastic color,

Then a week after flowering the entire plant basially turned brown.. nothing like the classic excelsior strain or camelots I grow. Regardless of the color of the bloom, no way I was keeping that in my garden, I pulled it all before it could set seed.

To each thier own, grow what works for you.

Silverkelt

Sponsored