Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bakemom_gw

The art of container dumping

bakemom_gw
12 years ago

Over the years, I have had a lot of fun container dumping. You know the story - only one sad sprout and no more germination. I planted out my lone candy lily container - the whole thing. I am proud to say I now have 3 robust plants - the two later sprouts just popped up in the last few weeks.

My other trick is to throw my spent plants under the huge pine in the front yard. The plants re-seed and grow out from the tree base. It's much easier to mow around the tree and it look very natural.

What dumping fun have YOU had?

Comments (5)

• proudgm_03
    12 years ago

I have a small bed on the south side of the house that I dump in. It only has bulbs planted in it. This year I had a columbine and two hollyhocks grow in it. Plan on moving the columbine this fall. From now on when I dump I plan on putting the tag in the pile so I'll know what comes up. Perhaps I should just start a dumping bed!

• northforker
    12 years ago

I have to say I usually plant a sprout in the bed, even if I just get one. But I do recylcle the pro-mix, used it to fill pots and such. I chunk out the sprout, plant it, then dump the container of "dud" seeds/mix in a tub. More than once I have found sprouts of plants growing in a pot I have filled with that mix.

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

I dump IN, not OUT--into a bucket of potting mix I keep handy for potting up sprouts that are big enough. This is only my second year to WS but so far I haven't come across any strangers growing in the bucket or even in the pots I fill with the mix. I recycle and reuse the milk jugs as well as the growing mix after what I decide is a reasonable amount of time for the seeds to sprout. NB - what I decide is reasonable can change from one day to the next.

• highalttransplant
    12 years ago

This spring, I thought I would use the potting soil from all of last year's containers to improve the soil along our fence. It's part of the empty lot next door, so I didn't want to spend any money on the area, but I use it for growing pumpkins and sunflowers. Anyway, yesterday as I was watering, I notice a nice little patch of portulaca growing amongst the pumpkin vines : )

• kimka
    12 years ago

I have three spots where I dump both ungerminated containers and soil left over in planted out containers. One is a spot next to some stepping stone steps on a short steep hill where rain runoff tends to cause erosion. This spring, three bellflowers popped up next to the steps and bloomed, which really surprised me because I would have thought the spot was too shady for bell flowers to bloom.

Dump spot two is a stoney, no topsoil area alongside the drive way. I was just tryign to improve the soil there, not thinking about ungerminated seeds. Imagine my surprise when BES and some other random sprouts showed up beside the columbine I had planted there. This summer, there have been a lot of surprise seedlings in the dump soil, but the extreme heat and drought have killed off most of them. So I guess I will have to have some extra containers just to "accidently" sown in that area next year.

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals