Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I need help!!!!!!!

Posted by BERGER123 4b-5a (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 22:14

Hi
This is my first time on this form. I was wondering if I use the four packs that you buy at nurseries and if I could plant the seed and leave them outside in my shed for the winter?
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I need help!!!!!!!

You could do that but you would need to bring them out into the light in spring. The seeds may also benefit from some snow cover which they won't have in the shed. And with that little soil you won't have very healthy seedlings. You need a container with a depth of 3-4 inches of soil for good roots. With so little soil you'll also need to water maybe every day. All in all, I'll say not a great idea.

o
RE: I need help!!!!!!!

Berger,
Did you read the FAQ? They do a great job of explaining the process and why it's important to have a certain depth of soil and good drainage as well as top vents to allow snow and rain to moisten the soil. We leave the containers outdoors so the seeds can benefit from all that Mother Nature has provided, but the containers give some extra protection and keep seeds organized and (hopefully) labeled.

Martha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here