Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
highalttransplant

My turn to show off my bloomers : ) (picture heavy)

highalttransplant
13 years ago

There have been so many wonderful pictures posted lately, that I thought I would jump in with a few of my own.

I'll start with wintersown stuff, and then maybe show off some other stuff too.

This year, I decided to wintersow directly into the planters on the porch, so I wouldn't have to transplant them. I planted several different kinds of annual into each pot, and covered the pots with plastic. Worked great! Plus, that meant fewer containers to plant out.

Coreopsis tinctoria (I think it came from v1rtous1ty)

{{gwi:422569}}

In that same pot is Nasturtium 'Tip Top Gold'

{{gwi:422570}}

This is Dwarf Red Coreopsis (seeds were from Token)

{{gwi:422571}}

Ursinia Anethoids, which is in a pot with Gazania 'Daybreak Orange Cream', Nicotiana 'Choc. Smoke', and Amaranth 'Autumn Touch'. I'll try to get a picture of the whole combination once everything is in bloom.

{{gwi:422572}}

New for me, and one of my favorites so far this year, Snapdragon 'Scarlet Giant'

{{gwi:422573}}

Okay, now for some things sown in previous years. This is Shasta daisy 'Alaska' wintersown in '07

{{gwi:422574}}

Aquilegia chrysantha, also wintersown in '07

{{gwi:422576}}

Last year, I wintersowed California poppies. This year, I didn't have to ... they came back on their own

{{gwi:422577}}

Close-up

{{gwi:422578}}

Another one that was wintersown in '09, Rudbeckia 'Cherry Brandy'. This is the first bloom of the season.

{{gwi:419056}}

Verbascum 'Copper Rose', wintersown in '09, and this was the only stem of blooms so far. When I wintersowed 'Southern Charm' it bloomed the first year, and was much fuller it's second year. Still pretty though ...

{{gwi:422579}}

And one more from '09, Poppy 'Double Tangerine Gem'

{{gwi:422580}}

The Asclepias tuberosa 'Gay Butterflies' was wintersown in '07, the 'Black Eyed Stella' was not wintersown.

{{gwi:251040}}

Okay, here is a shot of the veggie garden here at the house. I also have a 20' x 20' plot at the community garden.

{{gwi:422581}}

Wintersown lettuces, obviously planted HOS style : )

{{gwi:422582}}

Wintersown 'Rainy's Maltese' and 'Soldacki' tomatoes in an Earthbox

{{gwi:422583}}

A very happy 'Patio Red Marconi' plant (started indoors)

{{gwi:422584}}

Strawberry 'Temptation', wintersown in '09, and finally starting to do something this year!

{{gwi:422585}}

Whew! That's a lot of pics! Hope you enjoyed them, as much as I did sharing them.

Bonnie

Comments (17)

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Love the photos Bonnie. We are having some much deserved rain here this morning and tuning in to your post is great.

The colour of the snapdragon is really nice. So bright!

I had some of those poppies bloom this year and I enjoyed them - Tangerine. They are so dainty and last for a longer time than the orientales which flop heavily every time I get a wind so I'm thnking that I will be replacing will this one. My California ones are blooming like the Dickens now and I love them too.

As always, that Asclepias Tuberosa is stunning!!

• tammyinwv
    13 years ago

Beautiful pics!. I especially liked the Asclepias combo. I have some type of asclepias winter sown that I am stilling waiting for bloom on.
    Tammy

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

'Copper Rose' is lovely. Verbascum has become one of my favorites since ws the first ones three years ago. I have noticed that some seem to form stems more readily than others. A squirrel dug up my deep purple one this week but I may have another in the holding bed.

Your veg. bed looks great. Now I need to go out and check to see if I have any peppers on my plants.

Thanks for sharing.

• gardenweed_z6a
    13 years ago

Spectacular photos, Bonnie! Thanks so much for sharing. I just love the California poppies and will WS lots more of those next year. The Double Tangerine Gem poppy also caught my eye. I think I need more poppies, along with more Shasta daisies & Rudbeckia. Ah well, what's a garden if you're not working to make it even more beautiful next season?

• paulan70
    13 years ago

thank you for sharing they are so pretty. You have a very lovely yard.

Paula

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the nice comments, everyone!

By the middle of summer, the grasshoppers have done a lot of damage, and the bindweed has taken over, which is why I tend to stick with close up shots, so that you can't see the flaws : )

Bonnie

• v1rt
    13 years ago

Great shots Bonnie!!! :D

• greylady_gardener
    13 years ago

very pretty blooms Love the snapdragon colour!

• kqcrna
    13 years ago

Pretty!

Karen

• gratefulgardener3300
    13 years ago

nice pics... what kind of camera do you use?

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It's nothing fancy, a point and shoot type, Samsung Digimax 530. It is great for still shots though. Not so good with pictures of moving objects, as there is a bit of a delay from the time you push the button, to the time it actually takes the picture.

• austinnhanasmom
    13 years ago

Very nice!!

• v1rt
    13 years ago

Bonnie, I am not sure why I didn't see your California poppies the other day. It is GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!! :D

And yes, the Coreopsis Tinctoria came from me. I didn't ws any this year but I have volunteers.

Going back to California poppies, can you please save me seeds? :P

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I just gave them a haircut last week, and cut off most of the unripe seedpods, but they will start blooming again in another week or two, and this time, I'll let them set seed. I'll be sure to save you some.

• v1rt
    13 years ago

Which did you trim, the california poppies or coreopsis?

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The California popppies.

I'm hoping to get seed from the Coreopsis too.

• conniemcghee
    13 years ago

All the pictures are great! Those poppies really do steal the show - what a color!

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH