Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mnwsgal

Fennel produces

mnwsgal
12 years ago

this beauty, Swallowtail butterfly caterpillar

{{gwi:422675}}

The fennel I ws has been eaten by bunnies while still seedlings. Juliemn gave me this plant from her garden so I can attract Swallowtail butterflies. Hope this guy stays around.

Comments (10)

• drippy
    12 years ago

Oh, he will - he'll do a job on that fennel. Bronze fennel, IMO, is a 100% perfect plant - edible and fragrant, useful filler in flower arrangements, and best of all, host plant for swallowtail cats. I am waiting for them to show up here - butterfly population seems to be down a bit from last year; I think that may be due to the vicious spring storms.

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

That's a beauty mnwsgal!! Saw my first monarch of the season on the milkweed yesterday but it was shy and I couldn't get a picture. The milkweed is huge this year (due to all the rain?) and just began flowering about a week ago. The fragrance is awesome. I just might have to find a little spot for some fennel next year.

• bev2009
    12 years ago

I have a tiny black swallowtail cat on the dill. I wish I was raising them, but not this year, maybe next. Your photo is great! They are so beautiful.

• terrene
    12 years ago

I hope a bird doesn't get him! They are fat tasty treats for the birds.

I had my first sighting of a Monarch adult yesterday too Gardenweed! However, 2 weeks ago I found 2 small caterpillars on the Common milkweed in my yard, so there was obviously a female here laying eggs. I didn't see her though. I collected the 2 caterpillars and raised them, they are in chrysalises now. :)

Butterfly season has started, a bit earlier than expected! Now just waiting for some more butterflies to lay eggs.

• merrygardens
    12 years ago

I had a dozen of those caterpillars on my fennel, but there are none now, after a week or so. Where would they have gone? Should I be looking for a chrysalis somewhere? Or is it likely birds ate them all?

• kqcrna
    12 years ago

I forgot I had seeds for bronze fennel. Too late now I guess. Maybe next year.

Karen

• terrene
    12 years ago

Merrygardens, the caterpillar in MNWs picture is 5th instar and close to pupating. If yours were that large, it is possible they have pupated. They will wander off to find a good spot, perhaps on a branch in a shrub, or under some bark on a tree. Their chrysalis is well camouflaged (google Black Swallowtail chysalis and you can see them).

They also could have been preyed upon. And the chrysalis can be preyed upon as well. One reason people raise butterflies is that their odds of making it to adulthood are much improved.

• bev2009
    12 years ago

You're right, terrene, I'm afraid something got him. He was only about 1/2" long and he is gone.

• PhoenixRain
    12 years ago

Thats a great photo!! and visitor.

• norabelle
    12 years ago

Striking caterpillar and beautiful photo!

I planted dill and Florence fennel that have continued to reseed in hopes of attracting BST, but I have yet to be lucky enough to find a caterpillar. (Florence fennel is different than bronze, though, isn't it? Maybe that's part of the problem.) The adults visit my zinnia, though.

W raised over 20 Monarchs last year, and we collected six eggs yesterday, four of which have hatched. So, though I would love to raise a BST, I will count my blessings that my family has the opportunity (and the milkweed and nectar plants) for Monarchs!

Here's a picture of one of our little guys:
    {{gwi:422676}}

Sponsored
Columbus Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions