Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_970892

WS primula tommasinii 'you and me blue'

littleonefb
13 years ago

Has anyone WS primula tommasinni you and me blue seeds from Thompson and Morgan seeds?

I'd love to grow this beauty that is a perennial in zone 4-7 or so it says in the catalog.

Seeds are expensive too. 12 seeds /$5.95

Anyone given it a try yet?

Fran

Here is a link that might be useful: info from TM seeds on this beauty

Comments (13)

• vic447
    13 years ago

I am watching to see if you get any answers !! It sure is beautiful, you have made me want some !! Vickie

• sheltieche
    13 years ago

Do not bother with T&M, they do not germinate
    Go to Barnhaven primrose, look for hose in hose primulas

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I've had excellent results with germination with all the TM seeds I've purchased in the past, lindalana

I went to the site that listed above but could not find the same primula

Fran

• just1morehosta
    13 years ago

I have tryed to grow them two years in a row, nothing,notta.Thought it was just me.They are pretty, but no luck on my end.
    cAROL

• sheltieche
    13 years ago

re T^M seeds I have had mixed results- seeds that generally easy to germinate are doing great but the ones that might be slightly finicky are usually duds, specially the ones they sell like 3 seeds a packet...
    I have had tremendous results with many primulas from American Primrose society seed exchange, NARGS and Barnhaven is unbeatable if anyone loves primulas as much as I do. Barnhaven has mistery packets on the least expensive side and it is good choice.
    For those of you who do want to try hose in hose either APS or Barnhaven will be great choice
    Primula loves cool nights and days to germinate, mostly under 65

• kate518
    11 years ago

Hi - I have 2 plants from seed of this Primula from Thompson & Morgan. I tried 6 and 2 germinated. They are now 2 years old and the foliage is not what you expect. No blooms yet. I was searching for a whole plant image on the net today and came across your forum. The foliage is a nice purple and unsaturated green. One is 12 inches high the other is about 8. If and when they bloom I will upload photos to another garden site.

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    11 years ago

I got some "you and me blue" seeds in a trade and one sprouted. It is a very pretty primrose.

This is what mine looked like a month ago:

{{gwi:423011}}

• organic_greenjeans
    11 years ago

This is beautimous...definitely a new must have! I have a long standing love affair with all flowers blue, this has escaped my attention & would sure like to trade something for seed! Would be nice to have something blue in early spring besides Meconopsis poppy (don't last long enough, and sorry to say I don't have seed to trade) and grape hyacinth, which I use as a border plant, then switch to lobelia erinus which I grow from seed each year. The hyacinth are very pretty but they behave badly in the garden as far as ending up where they weren't intended to be! Naughty little things!

I haven't updated my seed trade list since becoming active here, so if someone has seed from this they'd trade & I don't have something you want, pls email me with what it is you're looking for, I'll check seed box!

I've had pretty good germ rate from T&M seed (I'd say at least 80-90%), so have all my nursery customers over the years...maybe we've all just been lucky? This is first time I've heard about poor germ from their seed, which for their prices isn't a good thing.

• docmom_gw
    11 years ago

For early spring blue, I can't imagine any prettier than Forget-Me-Nots. The blossoms are tiny, but there are thousands of them. They are also very easy to grow and reseed easily. There are two types, one is Japanese, I think, and can be overly invasive. The other is native to the midwest US, and is better behaved. I'll see if I can look up which is which.

Martha

• docmom_gw
    11 years ago

Myosotis scorpioides, or something close to that.

Martha

• docmom_gw
    11 years ago

Myosotis sylvatica, or something close.

Martha

• organic_greenjeans
    11 years ago

I've got both species; M.scorpioides 'Sapphire', which is the Chinese or water forget-me-not, M. sylvatica 'Victoria Blue & Pink', which is the common garden perennial or bi-annual. Mine die out quickly, only to pop up somewhere else later! This is the same species that's originally a mid-west native, but in our area is actually listed as a noxious weed because it reseeds madly. After 2 years here in my new garden digs I'm gaining on it, but slowly...it's a real stinker! It's annoying that the ones I plant don't last, the ones I don't want are everywhere! I've also got blue flowering Brunneras & Pulmonaria, but this blue primrose has much larger flowers for a bigger color impact and maybe more control over staying where I put it! I may just have to break down & buy some seed!

• kate518
    11 years ago

OOPS ... regarding previous post about Primula You and Me Blue seeds from Thompson & Morgan - they did not germinate for me after all - it was a tag error.

Sponsored