Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
v1rt

July 31 pics

v1rt
14 years ago

Here are my latest pics. I'm so glad that the russian sage I ws just this year is starting to bloom. It's the one that's close to the castor beans(not the one that's close to Rud Irish Eyes).

I'm also very happy to have a BeeBalm. How long do their flowers last?

{{gwi:423197}}

{{gwi:423198}}

{{gwi:423199}}

{{gwi:50165}}

{{gwi:423200}}

Comments (12)

• pitimpinai
    14 years ago

Very, very pretty, Neil. Vibrant colors. Lively. I like it.
    Love the contrasting colors. Wonderfully done.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Mone! I think, the BeeBalm also came from you. :)

• october17
    14 years ago

Wow! Love those cosmos!

What are the white flowers to the left of the canna? Those look really cool too. Nice flower bed Neil!

• highalttransplant
    14 years ago

Love the Cosmos, and that Castor Bean plant is very impressive. Every time I see a picture of one, I want to grow it, but I've been hesitant because of the kids. Maybe next year they'll be old enough that I can give it a try. Will you be saving seeds from that one ... hint, hint, LOL?

Bonnie

• karendee
    14 years ago

Looks good!!!

I am glad to see you WS russian sage! I want some of that in my yard. I need to hunt for seeds.
    Karen

• v1rt
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Karen,

I see tons of russian sage in public areas here such as in Algonquin Park, Prime Outlet in Huntley and along Huntley Rd. I went to each place last week and I don't see any spent flowers yet. All are still healthty. When do you usually see the dried seed pods?

Bonnie, I was hesitant too but nobody went close to my garden. We have tons of kids here in the range of 5-10 but nobody bothered to touch, but they do step on my plants. LOL. I will try to save some seeds but I have never tried it since it's also my first time to grow this plant. Hopefully, I'll be able to grab it before birds does.

october17, the white flowering plant is Snow on the Mountain.

Thanks everyone! :)

• stage_rat
    14 years ago

Birds don't go after Castor Bean seed, so you'll be ok on that one..The seeds are poisonous too, store them in a childproof medicine bottle or something if you have kids.

In the russian sage photo, what's the pink-flowered plant behind the castor bean, and in front of the coneflower? And what's the purple-leaved shrub? I really like this shot of your garden! And the orange cosmos-blue salvia-white moth photo. Amazing how wonderful plants can look in just a few months!

• v1rt
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The pink flowered plant is knautia.

The purple leaf shrub is Royal Smokebush.

Yes, I was so delighted and amazed too that I never expected that my plants would grow that big and especially they were started from seeds. :)

• northerner_on
    14 years ago

Very nice mixed border. I am hoping my only Perovskia survives and blooms next year. I winter sowed them last year and planted out two plants to hide my poppy folige when it dies down. Both came through the winter,but one has died and the other is very small and seems to be struggling. Yours have done very well. What a beautiful bee-balm. Mine always get that horrible worm, but last year I discovered how to get them out and I got some blooms this year, but it's a very tiresome job. BTW beware of the Agastache - they can shoot up to 5-6 feet in their second year. Thanks for sharing.

• karendee
    14 years ago

I wish I knew when I would see seed pods. I only grew mine for a year before I moved here and was not a seed collector then. Maybe the seed savers F&Q might have something?

I see Russian sage all over the place and I always think it would be nice to just grab a few seeds. I have not tried it yet though :)

Karen

• aliska12000
    14 years ago

That's beautiful. I failed with my Russian sage, maybe sometime or just buy some.

It looks like Japanese beetles doing their thing on those cosmos, which are a really pretty color BTW. Do you fuss over the beetles? They make me crazy and I go out 3 or 4 times a day and drown them in soapy water. They sometimes go for my yellow cosmos, too. Just got done spraying a few plants but nothing blooming that attracts bees or ladybugs.

Monarda, I suppose it depends on the variety. I'm switching to Raspberry wine but the white ones I have for this year bloomed maybe just a little over a month starting early July IIRC. They're done blooming, all mildewy and icky now so I'm trying a more mildew resistant variety, hopefully.

• kqcrna
    14 years ago

Beautiful!

Karen

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!