Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Helenium 'Mardi Gras'

Posted by columbusgardener 6 Central OHIO (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 31, 10 at 7:29

three years going I have tried to start these as WS - no luck -

please someone tell me you actually got them to grow!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Helenium 'Mardi Gras'

Lynda has done helenium, though I don't know what kind.

Karen

o

Ive tried them as well 2-3 times.. and nothing.

I tried some of the helena mix from swallowtail this year and recieved excellent germination from them.

So I dont know whats up, I wasnt expecting mardi gras exactly as I believe thats a f1 plant or something.. but I was expecting some germination with some interesting kiddo's

I find the helena mix (I think its Helenium Autumnale) to be rather smaller flowers on it, even if they are pretty. I likethe big flowering helenium. If anyone knows a better source for these let us know.

Thanks

Silverkelt

o

I added my name to this list and received her address.

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/exseed/msg080733193570.html?9

Don

o

I've collected seeds from my Mardi Gras plants (purchased from a local greenhouse) for several years now, and not had luck with germination in any batch :-( This helenium is one of the strongest performers I have--it just flourishes in any conditions!

Would definitely love to see WS success with it!

o

• Posted by lgslgs z6 SE ohio (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 31, 10 at 20:44

I've always sown my heleniums in the summer - not by plan, but that's when I had seed on hand.

Seeds sown by early June will bloom first year.

Lynda

o

Some hybrids, such as Verbascum 'Southern Charm' are said to produce non-viable seeds. Wonder if that's the case with this particular Helenium?

I, too, sowed seeds for this received in a trade, and had zero germination. It looks gorgeous in the catalogs. Maybe one day I'll break down and order one from Bluestone Perennials ...

Bonnie

o

I tryed also, nothing for me either
cAROL

o

I got some seeds from a friend and going to try them this year. I've grown Lollipop with great success. It comes back all by itself too.
As for Verbascum 'Southern Charm', mine self-seeds and comes back every year.

Maybe it's your soil type. They are both natives of the Plains States (Prairies), so prefer soil that has a neutral pH or higher (more alkaline). If you have acid soil, add in some wood ashes or lime to the soil where you grow them. They love it. I give all my prairie-type flowers a good dose of wood ashes every Spring.

Hope this helps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here