Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
agkistrodon

"dry" versus "wet" seeds FAQ?

agkistrodon
11 years ago

I searched the FAQs but couldn't find anything about this....it's probably there I'm just not seeing it!

I understand that many seeds such as Asclepias sp., veggie seeds etc are "dry" seeds where you want to store them as "dryly" as possible. However, many of the seeds I'd like to wintersow actually lose viability if they are stored under dry conditions. Seeds such as magnolias (I have a bunch of Magnolia ashei and Magnolia virginiana seeds) and Benzoin lindera require moisture to retain their viability so would I just store them in damp soil in the fridge before wintersowing or should I sow them in a container now and not refrigerate them at all? Mags and spicies require strat so they are HIGHLY unlikely to start germinating any time soon!

Comments (13)

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    11 years ago

Magnolia virginiana - unstratified seeds may be sown in the fall or stratified seeds (as long as 3 - 6 months) may be sown in late winter or spring, I'd Fall sow them. I've got all kinds of plants containerized on my deck so watering to keep a seed container moist if needed isn't an issue. You could Fall sow the m. ashei too, go ahead and use the winter sowing method if you wish but keep the container in the shade if you are experiencing warm temps there. Sow plenty, it looks like the germination rates of this one are low no matter how you treat the seeds.

Herb Society suggests definitely Fall sow Benzoin lindera, those seeds are going to benefit from a warm moist period before the moist chill, then will germinate when temperatures begin to warm again - a 3 cycle germinator, warm/cool/warm.

Our climates are different, but seeds that either lose viability or develop a deeper dormancy if dry stored (some dicentra, trillium etc), I will usually sow immediately, leave the pots outdoors.

• agkistrodon
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank-you so much! Ok, I will remove the ashei's from the fridge (I cleaned them yesterday)and sow them in a pot outside. There are so many mag seeds this year I can't keep up! The virginiana has flowered 3 times this summer! It doesn't usually produce viable seeds but I've collected bucket-loads (relatively :) this yr! The parent trees are growing in western NC (all germinated from seed)but I'm taking the seeds to Northern VA (Appalachian mts).

You said in your post: "I've got all kinds of plants containerized on my deck so watering to keep a seed container moist if needed isn't an issue." Could you explain what the difference is, between "containerized" and wintersowing in pots?

Any extra tips you have for sowing "wet" seeds would be appreciated!

11 years ago

Wintersowing is usually done in enclosed pots/containers with lids. My own climate is an exception, I find they are fine open because Oct - April there is no chance at all of them drying out. I was just pointing out in the warmer months, that if you have an area where you grow plants in decorative containers like a deck or porch, entry way, that can be an easy place to slip in a seed pot too and then not forget it because the geraniums/marigolds/petunias you are growing are going to remind you if you don't water :)

But lets not call them 'wet' seeds because wet isn't good - moist but not soggy is what's good. Damp works :)

Seed pots I know I'm going to have around for a while - the slower germinators - I will top the sown pots with grit to discourage moss and algae from forming, or my nemesis - liverwort! Chick grit is usually available by the pound at a feed type store or hardware store that sells poultry supplies, or you can use a box of parakeet gravel from the pet aisle of the grocery store in a pinch....

• agkistrodon
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ah yes, that makes sense! By "wet" seeds what I meant was those that shouldn't be stored dry as they lose viability...although I'll admit I am a "fusser" who tends to overfuss and over-water seeds as opposed to those who practice benign neglect :)

I love the idea of grit over the pots! I don't have a problem w/moss or algae but I do get the casual seed visitor!

One more question for you....if you were wintersowing magnolias, how many seeds would you put in, say, a gallon water bottle?

Thanks so much for the tips!

11 years ago

Oh boy, I'm the queen of oversowing - although better than I used to be. I think even with the m. ashei and it's low germination rate I'd be aiming for spacing of close to 2" for potential tree seedlings - If it were me, I'd want to leave them in the container until they'd had at least some root development, giving them just a bit of room is going to make for healthier seedlings that will be easier to separate.

• agkistrodon
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, for right now (next couple of weeks) I have about 60 seeds in a small tray because I am out of town and have to make it back home w/3 kids...wish I had a LARGE car :) Anyway I shall try to get them thinned out to every 2"....what would you pick for a container? How deep?

11 years ago

Almost everything I sow (remember my mild damp climate is pretty unique and not really found anywhere else in the country) is done in 4" wide x 5" deep square pots. Whatever you do use, I'd go for the depth especially with tree seeds, you want those roots to go down deeply immediately (and they will) and not begin to curl or 'j' root themselves hitting a shallow bottom and tangling up with each other.

It's amazing how many plants will have roots 5" just a few weeks after germination ...

• agkistrodon
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, went in search of pot ideas. I'd rather recycle stuff I have around the place...this is a weird idea but would it work? If I get one of those cardboard file boxes, put a garbage bag in it, poke holes for drainage through bag and box and fill box w/dirt? I know box will get wet and break apart eventually but am hoping that it lasts for a season? I can't really afford plant pots...any other suggestions?

I really appreciate your input Morz!

11 years ago

I wouldn't sow anything that could take as many potential months as magnolia in cardboard and place it outside, I just can't imagine you would be happy with the results.

You just drove three kids, surely they drink milk or juice? Or have friends who do, you could raid another mothers recycles. Waiting a couple of days to empty something longer lasting isn't going to hurt, I'm afraid you'll be disappointed if you get too creative with a container.

• agkistrodon
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, I'm collecting those but I don't think I'll ever collect enough especially if each container should be limited to 1-2 seeds w/something like a mag! I just seem to have collected too many seeds and most of them are trees or shrubs (viburnums which also take a considerable time to germinate)! Maybe I can just sow some of them in situ and skip the containers ?

11 years ago

I wonder if you misunderstood my spacing suggestion, case where a picture would be worth 1000 and I don't have one.
    I could sow about 9 seeds for trees, shrubs, in a 4x5" deep pot. Starting about 1/2" or so from edge, it will accommodate 3 'rows' of 3 seeds each...and not likely all will germinate. Same method I would use for things like cyclamen, trillium that I would be leaving in the pot for a bit until they begin to develop a bulb/corm.

I wouldn't sow just one or two in a half gal or gallon jug, I would only want to allow approx 2" space between potential seedlings. One or two per container would be a big investment in potting soil, a lot of patio or deck space too.

You also have the option of thinning, don't forget that. Sow more heavily, and be prepared to snip (scissors) the weaker of two that happen to come up too close together. Realistically, how many of these can you plant and care for if you did have better than average germination from the seeds:)

• agkistrodon
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, I did misunderstand the # of seeds/pot but I think I've got it now! I'm not anticipating that I will be battling tremendous germination rates. I'll be happy if I get 5 somewhat sturdy mags! I've grown from seeds for awhile now but have never wintersown so I don't really know what to expect.

I definitely have space for what I'm growing...I am in a mostly forested site and I've been "lasagna" gardening the grass back to fertile ground in preparation...my biggest problem will be a healthy deer population :( and my 3 overly helpful kids!

11 years ago

I think you will enjoy the results of wintersowing, keep on eye on the seed exchange and speak up for any woodland type things too :)

If this is your first year, feel free to ask lots of questions. The forum is a little quiet right now but gets lively again before long...

I understand with the deer, I've got them daily too and I'm within the city (maybe town is a better description, quite small). At least here we don't have snow cover regularly so they aren't truly hungry, it's more like they are here all the time, then occasionally surprise me by tasting something they haven't bothered with before.

Sponsored