Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
proudgm_03

Sowed too closely together Pics

proudgm_03
15 years ago

I wanted a full lush garden so I planted everything around 6 inches apart. Big mistake. Some of my plants are huge and are crowing out other plants. I discovered a skimpy larkspur earl grey this morning underneath my cleome and mexican sunflower. Here's what some of plantings look like. Some of these plants are over 4 foot tall. I sure hope the hollyhocks I have planted behind them will outgrow them next year. You can hardly tell what's growing because it is one big hunk.

{{gwi:424101}}

{{gwi:424102}}

{{gwi:424103}}

{{gwi:424104}}

How many of the plants in these pictures will come back or reseed? I'll have to pay more attention to spacing requirements next year.

Here is my hibiscus luyona. Can't wait until it gets bigger.

Comments (18)

• shasta_2008
    15 years ago

I think it looks fantastic! I wish I would have planted mine closer together..

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    15 years ago

Proudgm,

You have a most beautiful garden. Most folks will envy all of it's colours and hues of greens. Sit back and enjoy!! The butterflies and hummingbirds are probably enjoying it so you might as well too. :O)

Do I see potential for expansion in the back of the first photo? Instead of 'removing' maybe you could just 'move' some plants into that area. Just don't take out too much. You've created an impact that most would love to have.

Keep in mind that this is coming from a gardener who likes chaos. When I see something like you've created I tell myself "Now THAT is a garden!"

Here's a bit of my chaos. In here are Astilbes, Lynchnis, Chocolate Joe Pye, Anemone, Perennial Geraniums, Blue Poppies, Bleeding Hearts, and Columbines. Everything comes up when it's suppose to. :O)

{{gwi:424105}}

• agirlsgirl
    15 years ago

I agree with tiffy,to me that is a gorgeous garden! I love the full look and that white Globe Amaranth!:)

• proudgm_03
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks guys! The back part of the garden has some things planted in it but they are mostly perennials and are going very slowly. As you can see I still have lots of room and am already planning my 2nd WSing season!

• medontdo
    15 years ago

ummmm.......HELLOOOO that looks georgous!!!!
    are you sure your not fishing??? LOL **onery grinn** LOL
    man that's like a picbook pic!!! LOL i absolutely love it!!
    if i was a butterfly, i would sooo be there!! ~Medo

• moonphase
    15 years ago

Beautiful....not too close,that is exactly the way I plant mine too..
    moonphase

• PVick
    15 years ago

love that look!

• northerner_on
    15 years ago

Proudgm, I LOVE your garden. This is what I think a garden should look like and I wish I had enough sunny room to create one like that. Before I started gardening I read one of those 'gardening' magazines, where a landscape designer had put in a garden in a small space and 'stuffed it full of perennials'. I loved that look and have always wanted to create it. You have done it and it is lovely.
    Northerner.

• lindakimy
    15 years ago

Proudgm, I think it's lovely, too - and all the plants looks so healthy and green, right down to the ground! That's rare in my garden by this time of year.

ALL of those reseed freely in my garden. In fact, if you think they are close together this year just wait til you see how Mother Nature plants 'em!

• kqcrna
    15 years ago

My beds are stuffed like that, too. I should move some perennials to give them space, but unfortunately I have run out of space.

I have 2 new lavendars, WSown this winter, which are completely buried in there. I push things aside and check them occasionally. They look healthy, but they're getting no sun so are growing very slowly. They'll have space when I yank the giant marigolds, emilia, BBs, etc. I just hope they make it through winter.

Karen

• lynnencfan
    15 years ago

just beautiful - I love that full lush look

which celosias did you plant?? - I have the feathery pink and am disappointed in the color - looks too faded from a distance - I love the hot pink that you have and would like to try that - thanks for sharing....

Lynne

• terrene
    15 years ago

I think it looks beautiful too. It is a cottagey look, even resembling a meadow of wildflowers. If you want a more formal look in some gardens, then yes, spacing and design is more of a factor. My gardens in the front yard are more formal than the ones in the back.

I space most of my plants out much more than 6 inches, because many of them get quite large. You simply can't squeeze large perennials like Joe Pye Weed or Helianthus 'Lemon Queen' into so little space, mine are growing 6 feet tall and 4 feet wide. I like to see their full potential, so I'm not going to crowd them. It does look pretty weird when they're small, though, you wonder if the garden will ever fill in.

• tosser
    15 years ago

Nonsense - it's perfect just the way it is!

• ejmoore510
    15 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous! Thanks for sharing. I'll bet the hummers are visiting you regularly too.

Joan

• tndandelion
    15 years ago

That's gorgeous! Mine looked like that until we hit the 99-199 degree mark!

What do you think of that Mexican sunflower? I grew several this year and it's a new favorite. ALthough, collecting seeds is kinda like holding a porcupine. LOL

• proudgm_03
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I had no idea the mexican sunflower would get that tall. I love it.

• leecb
    15 years ago

I agree with the cottage notion. Everything looks so natural and healthy. I love your choice of colors too.
    In my limited experience the closer the plants the less staking as everyone holds up their buddy next to and behind them. Very helpful especially with the rain. LOL, I have a bad habit of cramming plants together so this is the theory that I've decided on.
    You've sold me on trying some celosia for next year. :)

• floodthelast
    15 years ago

Sigh, envy, beauty everywhere. I love it and can understand both sides. I love to see wall to wall flowers but hate it when they kill each other. I guess I like a nice crowded bed but room for growth at least after fall division.
    My mom has a nice crowded garden because she doesn't have a lot of time for it and would rather get rid of her perennials and have a bush and a flower with lots of space over and over. I think she is nuts, but I am allowed to get whatever I want at her house so I can't complain.

Sponsored