Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bookjunky4life

Saving tomato seeds

bookjunky4life
12 years ago

I printed off Trudi's instructions for saving tomato seeds. I have many tomatos that are too rotten to use so I've just left them in the garden. Is there any reason I still can't save their seeds? My understanding is the tomato needs to be ripe to save seeds but can it be too ripe?

Comments (12)

• plays_in_dirt_dirt
    12 years ago

I don't think the tomato can be too ripe for its seeds to be viable. After all, volunteer seedlings sprout from tomatoes whose flesh rotted away. Maybe Remy will see this post and respond, but she posts most often on the seed saving forum. Maybe post over there. Remy will know.

Barbara in Virginia zone 7

• trudi_d
    12 years ago

Right now I have nothing left except split tomatoes, the hurricane obliterated my tomato plants--to get to their fruits I have to finish clearing out the fallen willows. I can only clean the seeds of so many tomatoes in a day, some will begin to rot and melt(ick) before I can get to them, I think some of the seeds I collect may have to come from very dead tomatoes. I'm glad you're using the sani-scrub, I feel very confidant in its ability to kill any exterior pathogens that may be on the seed. Good luck with your seeds!

T

• aliska12000
    12 years ago

We had Heinz contracted fields close to here. They let people glean after the harvest. An old city truck farmer, may he rest in peace, got some, picked some for seeds and started growing them. They were great. My MIL got some and canned them.

I don't know how to save seeds, thought you waited until before frost but guess not. Marigolds are intuitive, and I saved bunches of those, if I have any left, they're pretty old. My rudbeckias died early from drought, do you think the seeds will be any good from them? They were really varied and colorful this year. How about my crazy daisies that died a little sooner, would the seeds still be good, assuming I can tell what's what? I think I wait until the phlox seed pods turn brown are just about ready to pop.

Echinacea, ugh. I don't know where they came from, the same old pink ones and yellow harvest moon I don't like much. They self seed easily.

I have baby tulip trees all over the yard from my neighbor's tree, hate to kill them. Potted one up and will sink it in the ground for winter. Really nice, big, tidy trees with distinctive leaves. The seeds are too high to reach. If he'd let me have some, I might be able to use my apple picker. They have to be easy to grow if you winter sow them.

What about Becky Shasta? I noticed a small clump that has obviously self seeded.

Alyssum grow and shed like a ladder so I guess those you have to collect as they grow. Mine are all gone, and they were so pretty. Maybe one yet will spring up. They spread better than a lot of varieties and the flowers were dense, also did well in part shade and withstood drought well. But something happened, and none came back, think bigger, stronger self seeders took their space.

• bookjunky4life
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm going to gather my tomatoes this evening. I think I will use my ice cream buckets, fill each one up with a variety and throw a label in on top. I know I can get beefsteak, Sweet 100s cherry tomatoes, and summer choice. I planted out originally over 140 tomatoes but I could not keep up with weeding and staking them so some of the varieties got completely taken over by weeds and never fruited.

• bookjunky4life
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I've saved my first tomato seeds. Trudi's method worked very well. I have an entire plate full of beefsteak seeds and a lot more to do.

• trudi_d
    12 years ago

Awesome! I love beefsteak toms, it's the tomato Mom grew each year.

• bookjunky4life
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I've been busy over the weekend and have about a dozen paper plates sitting around my kitchen!

• Kiskin
    12 years ago

I was very intimidated by the idea of saving my own totato seeds, it seemed so complicated. But finally this year I dared to try and it turned out beautifully! I am so proud of myself. Now the tomato varieties sent by Trudy 2 years ago will live on... :)

• trudi_d
    12 years ago

I am glad you found it easy! That's the best feedback I could have ;-)

T

• Ament
    12 years ago

My neighbor down the road just left old tomatoes in her garden bed from last year, her crop of tomatoes this year are from those tomatoes she left behind last years rotten tomatoes. But I suppose it all depends on where you live, how soon those tomatoes drop and all that jazz.

I'm going to toss a few seeds around out back where I want them to come up and see what comes up. :) I won't do that until it gets too cold here for seeds to sprout though.

~Tina

~Tina

• dave_k_gw
    12 years ago

I often see tomato seedlings where a tomato rotted on the ground the previous year. Very low winter temperatures don't seem to matter. I'd say put one on the ground and step on it. Maybe a label to mark the variety for next spring.

• jessewo
    12 years ago

My 'maters appear to be about over (probably due to the crazy weather we've had!) and I haven't saved seed, but as far as planting themselves, I remember a situation a few years ago. The driveway beside some of the plants was large gravel and some fruit must have settled in the gaps, as we had a fine crop of self-seeded "driveway 'maters"! My husband couldn't back his car up all the way without risking "driveway ketchup"! The driveway is paved now, but I'm sure if it ever cracks there will be plants growing out of the crack!

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists