Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosepedal_gw

Morning glories

rosepedal
15 years ago

Hi Please post pictures of your morning glories you grew for 2008. I would love to see what everyone grew. I love these flowers..... Here are a few of mine to start the thread..... White hige feather on canna, sunrise serenade on fence and grandpa otts on trellis....Tahnks Barb

{{gwi:425030}}

{{gwi:425032}}

{{gwi:425033}}

Comments (49)

• leecb
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

My first year doing Morning Glorys and holy cow, do they grow!
    Idiot me put three plants on either side of the arbor. They are now threatening to eat everything on either side of them.
    These are from last month. You have to bend over to get through there now.
    {{gwi:425035}}

One side is this color. The other side just now started blooming and is pink like yours. I didnt know what they were called though because they came in a mix.
    {{gwi:425036}}

Horns:
    {{gwi:425037}}

I had no idea they came in such colors. I love that white one Rosepedal. :)

• anna_in_quebec
    15 years ago

Leecb -what's your secret?! I have such trouble growing these. Do they need lots of fertilizer? Yours look so thick and lush. When did you plant them?

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow that is what I am talking about. Those are some awesome moring glorys. You have the majic touch... I love the horns. LOL

When we get seed ill trade you the white HIGE morning glory for them awesome sunflower seeds. LOL

• littleonefb
    15 years ago

Morning glories do benefit from some fertilizer that should be a bloom booster and they need lots of sun as well.

What they don't need is constant rain every day for the past 6 weeks like I have gotten. This had not been a good year for me with my MG. little sun and not much warmth and over 12 inches of rain in the past few weeks.
    Most of my MG have not bloomed and just starting to bud. Most are Japanese varieties.

And I'm finding that commercial packs of seeds are not blooming what they claim to be. Sometimes disappointed with the blooms, sometimes not.

Here are some pics, just click on the thumbnail pic for a larger picture to see.
    Thought this would be better as there still are so many pics.

not double blue picotee but love it anyways,, more than the double blue

{{gwi:425038}}

not mt fuji purple but some variant of it 4 inch flower

{{gwi:425039}}

bold miss piggy, unknown named by another GW member 5-6 inch flower

{{gwi:425040}}

sydney 2 inch flower

{{gwi:425041}}

mt fuji fushia 5 inch flower and favorite vine of the resident groundhogs

{{gwi:425042}}

unknown 4 inch and beautiful, but not the blue it was supposed to be

{{gwi:425043}}

aomaraski aka emma's gift, an MG that was created by a member of GW.
    this is growing on my front railing. 3 inch flower

{{gwi:425044}}

{{gwi:425045}}

{{gwi:425046}}

and the many different bloom varieties of aomaraski aka emma's gift, no 2 blooms are the same

{{gwi:425047}}

{{gwi:425048}}

{{gwi:425049}}

{{gwi:425050}}

{{gwi:425051}}

{{gwi:425052}}

{{gwi:425053}}

burpee pink star from commercial pack of seeds. not the sky blue with candy pink center star and 4 inch flower. flower is about 2 inches. OK bloom but won't be growing again

{{gwi:425054}}

heavenly blue growing on my arbor. 1 plant on either side as I like to be able to still see the arbor itself. 6 inch flower

{{gwi:425055}}

{{gwi:425056}}

{{gwi:425057}}

{{gwi:425058}}

not a 3 inch version of the blue star that is supposed to be light blue with a darker blue star and yellow throat. It is a 3 inch bloom though and a very pretty flower that is the second year I've grown it.

{{gwi:425060}}

{{gwi:425062}}

{{gwi:425064}}

this is the true blue star that the above was supposed to be a smaller version of. 5-6 inch flower

{{gwi:425066}}

not lindhiemer that is supposed to be a 1-1 1/2 inch pale lavender flower that is scented, no scent and this is an accurate color. will not grow this one again either

{{gwi:425067}}

gray haze, changes color throughout the day and stays open till at least 3pm. 4 inch flower

early am it is really gray

{{gwi:425068}}

aorund noon it starts to turn more lavender

{{gwi:425069}}

2pm has turned to a lavender color

{{gwi:425070}}

blue frost 3 inch flower

{{gwi:425071}}

akatsuki no beni 4-5 inch flower, stays open most of the day and is cinnamon scented when you get close to the flower

{{gwi:425072}}

rose chocolate 4 inch bloom. pretty flower but have several others of the chocolate variety to bloom yet, so will decide if this is a keeper after I see the other blooms.

{{gwi:425073}}

Still have at least 25 more to bloom yet, will post those when they bloom

Fran

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Fran those are pretty. My Japanese mg are getting ready to bloom also. I really love the atkatsuki it reminds me of the sunrise serenade color. Pretty....I also love very much how you have them growing up your steps that is such a neat idea... I cant wait to see your other blooms.... Barb

• mnwsgal
    15 years ago

Beautiful mg. My Grandpa Otts have been blooming for some time. Others are still recovering from critters' nibbling. I see several buds. Hope some are as pretty as yours.

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here are some today... Violet feathered morning glory and two unknown japanese mg. Fran is it me or do some mg not give many seeds? Would you know what varietys these are in the pictures? I know the violet feathered one. Thanks barb

{{gwi:425074}}

{{gwi:425075}}

{{gwi:425076}}

• leecb
    15 years ago

When we get seed ill trade you the white HIGE morning glory for them awesome sunflower seeds.

Barb, you have yourself a deal! I've already gotten some seed from the Sunflower, would be happy to send you some. Being a hybrid though I'm not sure if they will come true. But what the heck right?

Fran, your Morning Glorys are amazing. The rose chocolate one is gorgeous.

The flowers on mine are pretty much hidden behind all the darn leaves. I didnt use a drop of fertilizer aside from compost. Perhaps that might be the problem....

• littleonefb
    15 years ago

Barb, glad you like the MG going up the railing. Can become a pain in the neck though, to keep it off the top of the railing, but worth it for the affect it displays.
    I'll vine an MG around anything I can to have more of them.

Japanese MG are known for not producing a lot of seeds which is why you see the price for them so high on E-bay and catalogs that carry the japanese variety.
    and you don't get many seeds for the price you pay.

I was going to hand pollinate some of the flowers this year, but between spine surgery and not getting around much because of it and the weather, well it just doesn't seem to going to happen.

All we've had is rain almost every day for almost 6 weeks now, more than 12 inches of rain with it.
    Finally we've had 3 days with no real rain falling, just a few sprinkles and they MG are finally starting to bloom, albeit with only 1 flower at a time. Can't pollinate the flowers with only one blooming at a time.

Barb, you might want to post those pics on the vine forum for ID. I'm betting the Ron, who knows so much about the various MG might be able to ID them for you.
    I post there for his help all the time and he's a wonderful help.

Leecb, MG really do need some fertilizer but they need a bloom buster fertilizer, don't know about the compost as have never used it with mine.
    If you go to the vine forum and so a search you will find info on it that Ron has posted about fertilizing MG.

Did have some new ones blooming today, and again lots of unknowns as they are not blooming what they are supposed to bloom but some have.

Fran

Jamie lynn 2 1/2 inch flower and a real pretty one

{{gwi:425077}}

{{gwi:425078}}

{{gwi:425079}}

Gray lady. hard for the camera to pick up the colors on this one. 4 inch flower that starts out with almost pure white with a slight ting of gray. as the morning goes on it becomes gray tinged that can be seen and in the afternoon it picks up tinges of pink and stays open most of the day.

{{gwi:425080}}

{{gwi:425081}}

gray mist. thought I'd post this one but it is a late day picture. 3 inch bloom that really does start out gray in the morning, by noon it starts to take on the color of lavender and by late in the day it is the color in these pics. I love this one and the changing color.

{{gwi:425082}}

{{gwi:425083}}

I know what it isn't but no idea what it is. pretty though and 4 inch flower

{{gwi:425084}}

{{gwi:425085}}

no idea on this one either, just know what it isn't 3 inch flower and pretty

{{gwi:425086}}

{{gwi:425088}}

Now the strangest one of all. The original seeds where for sydney that I grew last year and should have looked like this

{{gwi:425041}}

but some of the blooms bloomed like this on one vine. I collected the seeds from these vines and the seeds where black instead of the off white color of the sydney seeds but they where also the same size.

{{gwi:425090}}

I was very careful when sowing these black seeds and sowed nothing that would even resemble what bloomed today.
    this is the bloom from the black seeds today. same size flower as sydney but doesn't look anything like it.

{{gwi:425091}}

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Leecb email me about the white hige mg.....

Fran,
    I am so glad you are getting around better. Your 1st unknown picture with a 4 inch flower looks exactly like my unknown. LOL
    Is Jamie Lyn a good grower? That sure is nice...

That is also neat about syndney. I love the color of it. I am gonna put gray mist on my gotta haves for next year. That one is breathtaking.... I did not fertilize any of my mg this year too many other plants that required my attention. I will hopefully next year and see if they are more robust. Still waiting on a few more to bloom. it is like christmas in august. Tomatoes and mg's. Thanks for sharing your pictures..... Barb

• shemeows
    15 years ago

They seem to do fairly well here, these are what I've grown.
    Unknown:
    {{gwi:425093}}

Kniolas Black Knight (somewhat disappointed with the color):
    {{gwi:425094}}

Crimson Rambler:
    {{gwi:425096}}

Flying Saucers:
    {{gwi:425098}}

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay now I have to add fying suacers. Those are wonderful. You have a wonderful camera. Nice pictures. Does crisom rambler put out a lot of flowers? Barb

• shemeows
    15 years ago

So far they haven't really produced many flowers, but it was a little of an afterthought (I planted them in late May for hummingbirds, to wrap around the shepherd's hook where I have the feeders). I thought they'd be a little redder, but I like them just the same.

The Flying Saucers haven't set seeds yet, I'll be glad to send you some when they do. They did turn out much prettier than I had expected.

• littleonefb
    15 years ago

Barb,

Looking at your pic you posted it appears to me that it is a photo of split personality and not that of the sunrise serenade.

Sunrise serenade is of the hige type morning glory ie. feathered type look as in these photos below

{{gwi:425100}}

{{gwi:425101}}

{{gwi:425102}}

where as the split personality is a split type leaf as you are showing in the pic you call split personality.

split personality

{{gwi:425103}}

{{gwi:425104}}

shemeows,

your pic of "flying saucer" appears to be that of the blue star variety and not the flying saucer.

It is quite common to have seed packets, both commercial and trades be labeled flying saucer and turn out to be blue star.

Both blue star and flying saucer as well as pearly gates and wedding bells are all in the Ipomoea tricolor variety and are variants of the tricolor heavenly blue.

This is a true pic of what flying saucer looks like

{{gwi:425105}}

as you can see very different from the pic you posted. You can get variations of what appears to be "blue star", especially in the fall, from the beginning of Sept on, when the sun is not quite a strong and temps cool down. If you look closely at the flower though, you will see in the area that is pale blue, slight streaks of the darker blue in the petal.
    I have that happen to some of my flying saucer in the fall as well.

My fall flying saucer pics that you can see where there is a bit of the blue streak in the flower and these where growing on the same vine as the pic above was taken from

{{gwi:425106}}

and this pic taken off the web

{{gwi:425107}}

A true blue star looks like this

these pics taken off the web

{{gwi:425108}}

{{gwi:425111}}

And these of my true blue star

{{gwi:425112}}

{{gwi:425066}}

you can see more at these links below.

blue star
    http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/209337/

flying saucer
    http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/179366/

sunrise serenade
    http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/167138/

split personality
    http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/125289/

Above information on the differences in the morning glory tricolor was gleaned from information that Ron told me a few years ago.

Fran

• floodthelast
    15 years ago

Wow those are all so beautiful. I just got some from my mom this year and planted two others, a pink and white. I haven't seen them bloom yet though. The ones from mom are so beautiful I have been trading for more varieties. I can't wait to see them next year. I must have more types. I had no idea there were so many.

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

HI Fran,

Thanks so much for the Id. I had to email people to let them know what they are. Thanks bunches Barb

• shemeows
    15 years ago

How curious! It was commercial seed, didn't look like what I expected, but then again, neither did the Kniolas Black Knight, so I didn't think it was a different variety.

Good to know, thanks Fran.

• gee_oh_nyc
    15 years ago

My first year for growing chocolates

{{gwi:425113}}

Here are some of my old faithful Granpa Otts (I call these the kamikaze of the morning glories)

{{gwi:425114}}

more opening soon

• jennypat Zone 3b NW MN
    15 years ago

Wow, I didn't realize there were sooo many morning glories!

I do have to laugh though, I planted heavenly blue last year, my very first time growing MG's. They almost took over my porch! I was thinking "kewl, now they will reseed, and I will have them every year" NOT!!! I have had TWO volunteers! One actually in the flower bed, which is now a whole 3' tall. The other in the crack between the siding and the deck, and died after it got about 4 sets of leaves.

I was concerned and DID buy some plants that were started, they are called "moonflower", I planted them in early June, and while they didn't actually die, they aren't growing either.

I am beginning to feel Morning Glory challanged!!

Jenny P

• friesfan1
    15 years ago

I planted morning glories over an arch last year.
    The re seeding is non-stop!! I pull, I spray. I cannot
    believe they took over my garden!!!

I also found a morning glory that I did not plant in another
    flower bed across the yard. It is sky blue, with funky
    looking leaves, so having it flower was a big surprise.

How do you keep the seeds from taking over your yards?

Mary
    z 5b KS

• gee_oh_nyc
    15 years ago

Hi Jenny,
    Next year try some Grandpa Otts, Star of Yelta, Crimson Rambler and Milky Way. They all reseed like crazy. I found Heavenly Blues to be a bit persnickety and so I always have to collect from the seed pods and start inside or wintersow them. But these other varieties come up in droves.

• andrea81
    15 years ago

What beautiful pictures you all posted. I need to take some and post them. This is my first year for MG's and I love what has come up. I have Grandpa Ott's, a pretty lavendar with a pink eye, a pale pink and a white with pink "veins".

Fran- I would love some of your Emma's Gift seeds if you have any extras later in the season =)

Andrea

• agirlsgirl
    15 years ago

Ok! I so wanted to share my pics too! :)
    But... I had a tough time uploading them to photobucket today! What a hassle! Seems the slower way,is the faster way for me...anyway here is my MG album,It is REALLY disorganized,sorry about that!:) You will find many pics of the same MG over and over again,sorry about that also,I am kinda obsessed with them,I lost alot of them introducing them to outside,my fault, I started way too many,so these are the survivors!;)

My Morning Glories

• littleonefb
    15 years ago

Angie, I clicked on your link and photobucket comes up with a password needed.

Andrea, I should have plenty of seeds of "emma's gift" but not no doubt not until mid september. The pods just seem to take forever to ripen. It produces tons of seeds too.
    Will post for trades for them as soon as I have them.

Mary, in 28 years of growing morning glory of all kinds, I've never had a reseed of one. Don't know what to tell you, but if you could post a pic of the MG that has reseeded everywhere, I'd have a better idea of what one you are having such a problem with.
    could it be that you sowed the dreaded bindweed and thought it was just a regular morning glory?
    If it is bindweed, then you are dealing with runner roots that are taking over your yard as well as seeds.

Fran

• agirlsgirl
    15 years ago

LOl...Thanks Fran! I fixed it,I think! :)

• littleonefb
    15 years ago

Angie, good job, link works.

Pics are beautiful but I did notice that one you have labeled akathuki no umi is not a pic of that MG.
    Yours looks similar to an unknown that I grew this year, supposed to be something different.

Here's a link of what akathuki no umi looks like

Fran

Here is a link that might be useful: akathuki no umi

• agirlsgirl
    15 years ago

Thanks Fran! I just went by what they were labeled,but I think possibly it is one of my Blue unknowns,my unknowns werent unknowns when I sowed them,they just became unknowns when I planted them in a panic!;) I will get to changing the titles to those,but not right now,I cant even look at that album after the nightmare yesterday!...lol...
    Regardless,it is a beauty and I will grow it again,when it first opens it is really more gray than blue,I have it paired with a White Supreme Sweet Pea and a Red Cypress Vine,the display isnt working as I had hoped this year,but next year I will have my Patriotic section! :) Now that I think of it,the reason I planted ,what I thought was akathukinoumi,in that spot, was for the blue!

Funny about my Violet Feather and my Pink Feathered,I sowed 2 seeds from the Violet Feather,one came out the pink and the other violet! Love them both! :)

• littleonefb
    15 years ago

don't you just love the "unknown" MG. I knew what they where when they where sown and planted. The tags told me what they where. The flower just didn't cooperate with the tag, that's all.

Mine that is similar to yours is posted with a pic in my second post of pics. Even Ron couldn't ID it and thinks it is a cross of some kind. It's loaded with seed pods and plant to collect them and grow it again next year. Wonder if it will stay stable or bloom something different next year.

My friend has the same kind of thing with her blue silk MG that you have with your violet feather MG. She has 5 plants of the blue silk. 3 bloom blue as they should and 2 are blooming a perfect blooming blue silk except that the color is lavender and stays lavender from the time the flower opens till it goes by. The 3 that are blooming blue turn to the lavender late in the day.

It's not us, it's just mother nature playing games with us.

Fran

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Angie,
    I am so Jealous and envious. I love the mutant that is neat! I did not know they had a pink feathered. HMM. Your pictuers are amazing once again and devins garden picture is so kool is that a praying mantis? If I was you I would place a signature on all your pictures so people cannot steal them. LOL
    Fran what would we do without you. Thank you for teaching all of us. You have a lot of knowledge and I appreciate you sharing it with us. My unknown jap mg that was blooming a purple color is now changing to pink. I thought I was crazy. But now I know I am not. I was getting a trade together and I found two morning glory flower seeds in the bubble from last fall. I hope they will be good next spring? I can be such a airhead. Thanks everyone for sharing these wonderful flowers and giving all of us a chance to see them. Barb

• littleonefb
    15 years ago

My pleasure Barb, but I can't take credit for the knowledge. I've had a great teacher for the past 5 years, Ron over on the vine forum. He is the one with all the knowledge and I just ask him the questions. He gives the answers and I pass the info along.

Is your unknown purple MG starting out blooming pink now or is it just changing to a pink as the flower starts to fade and go by? Purples will fade to pink during the day.

Another thing that can change the color of the bloom somewhat as well as the size of the bloom and how long the flower stays open is the change of season.
    As the days get shorter, the sun isn't quite as strong, the sun doesn't stay on the blooms as long and the temps get cooler. All can affect the color, size and length of bloom staying open.

I really like the beginning of Sept as the blooms stay open most of the day now, pods start to ripen more quickly and there seems to be a big rush of blooms on the vines. Must be mother natures last push to be sure that the vines produce seeds for next year. No flowers, no seed pods, no seed pods, no seeds, and then there would be no more plant.
    Mother nature isn't going to let that happen.

Fran

• agirlsgirl
    15 years ago

Yes I love the unknown MG's! It was so fun watching my violet feather bloom pink...lol..

"I knew what they where when they where sown and planted. The tags told me what they where. The flower just didn't cooperate with the tag, that's all."

lol....

"Mine that is similar to yours is posted with a pic in my second post of pics. Even Ron couldn't ID it and thinks it is a cross of some kind. It's loaded with seed pods and plant to collect them and grow it again next year. Wonder if it will stay stable or bloom something different next year."

I am hoping some of them will stay stable,but a part of me would love to see what else would come out of them! I will be collecting seed for that one also!:)
    Ron is great,I have read his posts and he has answered a couple questions for me here at the vine forum,the man is a genius! :)

Thanks Barb! No need to be jealous,I will share! :) I started to do the signature thing,it is time consuming!
    Yep that is "Pray",Dev's female mantis that moved on in to his garden! She has had her wings for a little while now and I havent seen her the last couple days,so maybe she flew the coop!I agree,Fran is very generous with her knowledge and we are very lucky to have her! :)

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I went out

{{gwi:425115}}

to the gardens and this is what I found growing in my grandpa otts mg. It must of come from a different plant (seed) Fran it has a pink eye any idea what it might be? Angie I love when they come out different also. It makes it so much fun.... Barb

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Fran can it be emmas gift. I dont have that seed in my database? Thanks for the help. It looks like yours....

• friesfan1
    15 years ago

Hi Fran,
    I had no idea I was in for so much trouble from
    2 pkg. of seed for each side of my arch.

But with our un-naturally wet spring, the extension agent
    said that seeds from everything were very prolific this year.
    I pulled out lots and lots of silver maple that dropped from
    my neighbors trees this year.

It is not bind weed. I do battle with that every year, it
    is awful here in my yard. What I am dealing with is just
    too plentiful Morning Glories.
    I added a link to new pics in this album.

Thanks,
    Mary
    z 5b KS

Here is a link that might be useful: 2008 Summer Garden

• friesfan1
    15 years ago

agirlsgirl ,

The leaves on your morning glory sure resemble the ones
    that appeared in my yard. I can tell you that they are
    a very light blue color. Since I work in the mornings
    I miss the show. However I don't seem to find many spent
    blooms later in the day. Maybe on Monday, when I am off I
    can get a picture of the bloom, which seems very fragile
    and delicate.

Mary
    z 5b KS

• etravia
    15 years ago

So pretty! I'd post mine, but all my blooms are way up at the top of my trellis, like 8 feet up there!. The vines are as high as they can go, and are starting to fall back down, so maybe in a week or two they will be at eye level!
    Maggie

• agirlsgirl
    15 years ago

Mary,I am betting yours is an Ivy Leaf MG,Ipomoea hederacea.I myself posted a link awhile back at the name that plant forum looking to ID them. They do reseed well,and can be a nusiance in some places,Gramma had one an Aunt in GA had sent home with her,it came back with a vengeance the year after. They are very pretty and with enough space may even be enjoyable,but taking over isnt enjoyable! Gramma's flowers were much bluer than those shown on this link. Take a look,you may recognize them!

Here is a link that might be useful: Ivy Leaf MG

• littleonefb
    15 years ago

Mary,
    does the flower look like this one below and is about 1 - 1 1/2 inches? Angie is correct, I think. The leaves do look like the ones on the Ivy leaf and the pic
    of the ivy leaf aka Ipomoea hederacea.
    {{gwi:424848}}
    I'm not familiar with this MG, I have it growing in my yard right now, but it was supposed to be Lindheimer, not the ivy leaf.

I got the seeds in a trade a couple of years ago and have been trying to germinate it, thinking it was lindheimer and for 3 years I never got any germination. Each time I put out 8 seeds and got nothing. this year I got 2 seedlings as was really excited, as lindheimer is a pretty small lavender flower and strongly scented, so I'm told.

As far as I know, it is grown from seed and not runner root, so I would suggest that you pull out what you don't want in plants of this one and be sure to not let the flowers form seed pods. That way you won't get seeds on the ground and germinating.

If you put out 2 whole packages of MG seeds, you may be getting seeds germinating this year that did not germinate last year. That would be an awful lot of seeds to put out and germinate.
    My sister-in-law did that quite a few years ago to cover a fence. I told her not to do what she planned, but she didn't listen to me.
    Anyways, she put out 5 packages of heavenly blue. a total of 95 seeds and planted them about 4 inches from each other all along the fence. It was just beautiful to look at but one horrible mess of continued germinating seeds for several years.
    It grew so thick she couldn't get the seeds for the following year and didn't plant them again. But she had seeds germinating for years, including the original seeds that she sowed the first year. She would find them coming up right where she sowed them and the marker was placed for the seeds. Over 50% of the first seeds didn't germinate.
    She finally used some roundup on seedlings that came up and got rid of them that way.

Once she had it under control, she listened to me and spaced the seedlings well and things worked out well from that point on.

Barb, that pic does look like Emma's gift. I don't have my records handy at the moment, but I know I did send you a lot of seeds last year for SASBE. Just don't remember if I sent those to you.
    The pics you've posted so far are not seeds that I sent you, because I don't have them growing now or did in the past.

How large is the flower? Emma is about 2 1/2-3 inches in flower with heart shaped leaves.

Fran

• gee_oh_nyc
    15 years ago

Hi folks,
    Here are some more that have been blooming over the last few days since I posted:
    A heavenly blue climbing up the window grille

{{gwi:425116}}

Granpa Otts along the back fence... does it turn pink or is that another one? Anyone know?

{{gwi:425117}}

A blue dawnflower (ipomoea indica)note the grape-like leaves.

{{gwi:425118}}

Split personality

{{gwi:425119}}

AND NOW FOR THE MYSTERIES:
    I couldn't get close enough to this one but behind the chocolates you see a reddish fuschia morning glory. The previous year I had Grandpa Otts and Scarlet OHara growing here... could this be their love-child?

{{gwi:425120}}

A really dark purple almost black velvety morning glory in the left of this pic... another cross?

{{gwi:425121}}

Vareigated leaves on a white one either Milky Way or Yojiro. Has anyone seen this before?
    {{gwi:425122}}

Any ideas what these mysteries might be?

• agirlsgirl
    15 years ago

Concerning your last picture I looked up yojiro,it took me to DG,read the last post under gardeners notes toward the bottom. It seems that one has some mystery behind it! I am sure Fran will know the answers,but it was fun investigating!:)

Here is a link that might be useful: yojiro

• agirlsgirl
    15 years ago

Correction,it isnt the last post I should have suggested,but the third one down! Sorry!

• littleonefb
    15 years ago

OK, this one I'm backing out of real quick. that leave is a real mystery one for me. I've never seen a heart shape variagated leaf before, and I like it.

On the other hand, any info on DG that has been posted by Ron i.e. RON_CONVOLVULACEAE either here on GW or over on DG is the source I would go with for information. I don't know who the last poster is on DG.

A true yojiro hybrid and Mt. fuji is one of the hybrids all have variagated leaves of the Japanese type, not heart shaped.

This one I would take over to the Vine forum and post the pic and as for Ron to give you any info that he can.

Morning glories can cross but they would be nil with nil, purpurea with purpurea. So I really don't know about this variagated leaf.

I will be posting on the vine forum myself to as Ron a question about the unknown MG i have that is blue with a pin center and white edge.

Was thinking about what it might bloom next year and wondered if it is possible that it will bloom similar to daylilies grown from seed. The hybrids do not bloom true to the parent plant because they are crosses of other hybrids and growing them from the seeds of the crosses would give you many different possible types and colors of blooms.

I would think that the MG might be the same, but not sure. If that is possible, then I would want to grow as many seeds as I could to see what the different blooms might be like and also wonder if once they bloom from the seeds of the original cross, would they then be stable.

OK going over to the vine forum to post my question to Ron. will let you all know what he says.

Fran

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The suspense is killing me......

• agirlsgirl
    15 years ago

"OK, this one I'm backing out of real quick. that leave is a real mystery one for me. I've never seen a heart shape variagated leaf before, and I like it."

One I have that is called Ishtadane,renamed, has heart shaped variegated leaves. There are pics of this MG in my album.

Barb...lol...you are a trip! :)

• gee_oh_nyc
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the detective work! I've done some of my own and have not come up with much...
    I have decided to try to tag the seed pods on this vine and save them for next year to see if it is just this plant or if the trait is passed on.
    Exciting stuff folks...
    Fun sharing it too.
    Peace
    George

• friesfan1
    15 years ago

agirlsgirl,
    The link you sent sure does look like the one [and only one]
    vine in my yard. But the blooms are a blue color , but very
    light.

Fran,
    The top photo looks like my flower. If this variety comes
    in more than one color?
    I only have the one vine though. The others that have
    taken over my garden are the regular heart shaped leaves.
    I am hoping that next spring, they won't get a foothold
    because I want to put a climbing rose over that arch.
    My Don Jaun, died. Actually , 2 Don Jaun's died ;-(

The morning glories were suppose to just be a filler until
    I had something permanent.

Thanks for all your help in identifying this Morning Glory.
    I had no idea there were so many out there!!

Mary
    z 5b Glory Land, KS

• littleonefb
    15 years ago

Barb, no more dying in suspense. I'm posting the link to the post I put on the vine forum for Ron to answer. Long and detailed but great information and the answer I was looking for to the question.

Fran

Here is a link that might be useful: question and answer on how cross mg may or may not bloom next year

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Fran,
    Ron was very nice to explain the information. Thank you for posting the question to him.

In laymans terms, see if I have this correctly. Say we plant three different vines on a trellis and they all bloom. Bees come along or whatever and pollinate the seeds. The dominate genes of those three plants can make a different cross of mg in the next years plant. And It is only a stable new plant if the same flowers are produced for seven years straight. If this was the case there should be hundreds if not thousands of new possibilities. For example I have white hige, grandpa otts, emmas gift. and knoila black on one trellis. If I trade those seeds should I state that due to cross pollination or just state what we usually say and say open pollinated? I also bought that blue double picotee but have not planted it. I hope it comes true next year......Ah the seeds companies sure can get away with alot.

I wonder if we due grow certain varieties how far away from each other should we grow them so there is no possibility for cross pollination?

Ah so much to learn. Thanks as always and emmas gift has yet to give me another flower. Darn I check everyday. I took Angies tip and place tape with the name of the flower and place it on the vine that is producing that flower to collect the seeds off of that trellis. Barb

• littleonefb
    15 years ago

Barb,

Mg crosses can only occur between the same type of MG. Ipomea nil with Ipomea nil. etc. Emma could cross with another nil, but not with a japanese variety.

so far I have never had a cross come out with any of my MG seeds that I have saved.
    On the other hand, I'm getting lots of them from trades and commercial purchases.

I believe your white hige is a japanese variety, but grandpa otts, emmas gift and knoila black are all nil and they could cross pollinate.

No worry, though. I've been growing emma's gift for 5 years. first year from seeds from emma herself and since then saved seeds. She comes true to seed every year and gives me tons of seeds, so will have plenty of seeds for trades, more than I could ever use in a 100 years.
    Last year I sent out 75 packets with 25 seeds in each one and still have a ton of them left over.

No worry on knoila black either. I laugh when I see that one on ebay as "very rare". I don't know how it could be since it is such a huge seed producer. Each pod has 4-6 seeds in it and on mine, my friends and my neighbors, every flower turns into a seed pod. So far I have 40 seeds off one vine and lost count after counting 60 more pods on it. One vine will give you well over 200 seeds.

granpa otts I've never grown, but from what I have heard it produces tons of seeds too.

As for the number of new possible MG blooms, it will happen when the bees go from one plant to another, but it doesn't always happen and you have to collect seeds from that one pod, if it was crossed.
    And wind can do it as well.

When I plant my MG on the fence, I keep a minimum of 2 feet from each vine, usually 3 feet and never put a nil next to a nil or a purpurea next to a purpurea.
    So far it's worked for me without any problems and I've been doing it for over 10 years.

I also keep very careful eye on my vines and don't let them tangle with each other unless they are tangling with the same one. I have enough space between each vine that I can just put a tag in the ground for each vine and label it that way.

Once I plant all my MG, I then make a map of the fence and mark where each vine is on the map, so if a tag goes traveling on me, and they are known to take many a walk in the mouth of a chipmunk, i can still know what each one is supposed to be. If it blooms something that it isn't supposed to be, I can change the tag to mark what it is on the map and not worry about the tag.

My map isn't fancy, very simple as simple is much easier to deal with than big fancy stuff.

The tape works great, masking tape and a sharpie works well, even better is fine pointed deco paint pen. if the sharpie print is in full sun it can and will fade on you.

Fran

Sponsored