Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bakemom_gw

Folks along the way

bakemom_gw
12 years ago

From time to time I have posted about interesting people who walk by my gardens and love to chat about them. Some don't speak english that well, but we all speak garden.

Today, I had an 84 year old Chinese woman come by with her daughter to look at the flowers. She was interested in growing from seed and plants that are perennial. She was really struggling with English, but we managed to understand eachother perfectly. I told her to come back any time and feel free to wander where she pleases.

I was gathering sea holly seeds for fall germination and plant out. I already have one small container sprouting.

I know we chatter about birds and insect visitors, but what people does YOUR garden attract?

Comments (6)

• terrene
    12 years ago

My gardens have been busy in the past week for some reason. A neighbor has her parents visiting from Brazil, and she has brought them both (on separate visits) to see the gardens and the butterflies I'm raising. Neither of them speak much English, but they both love flowers and they were fascinated with the caterpillars and chrysalises.

I also had a mother bring her young daughter to see the butterflies. Okay, it's not the garden, but we visited those too, to look at the Milkweed plants and the Monarch Waystation sign. The little girl loves caterpillars and butterflies.

Often the visitors get to watch the hummingbirds that visit the garden in back. This Spring I had a Baltimore Oriole nest in the Oak tree above the bird feeders and would show that to visitors. The birds and butterflies certainly add to the appeal of the gardens.

• bev2009
    12 years ago

People stare as they walk by, but they don't stop to talk usually. A friend called this summer though and asked if she could bring her cousin, who is a master gardener, to see the garden and we had a great time talking flowers. The home schooled kids next door came over to see my caterpillars I was raising. Whenever we have folks over for dinner, they always ask to see the gardens. However, I joke that they only asked because they knew if they didn't, I wouldn't invite them back. LOL

I love that your neighbors stop and talk, Bakemom. A garden should bring people together.

• northforker
    12 years ago

We live at the end of a dead end road in a town that is very rural anyway, so we have no "strollers". Sod fields on one side, potato fields on the other. Only one neighbor who does come by to look.

I FORCE people on to my garden paths!!! The UPS man has been a very patient garden tourer!!! Three summers ago we began a tradition of a huge pot luck garden party the 2nd weekend in August, just so these beds can get the viewing they deserve. Almost a hundred friends/co-workers came this year (which was a little much, actually..)but they all ooohh and ahhh. It's helped me recruit future winter sowers, had 3 colleagues from the office try it last year and at least one of them is really hooked.

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

No visitors. But family say "It really wild!" It is!

• paulan70
    12 years ago

I love it when neighbors stop me while I am working in the garden and tell me how much they enjoy my garden. I have this one neighbor who teases me and tells me that when he buys a house he is going to hire me to do the landscaping for him. A few years ago I had someone stop and tell me that they took a pic of zinnia bed and had up as thier background on their computer. I thought that was so cool. And a few years ago a little girl knocked on the door and asked if she could pick some flowers for her mom. I thought that was so cute and of course I said yes(actually dh did) but still.

Paula

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    12 years ago

I have zero landscaping ability, so even after 12 years of gardening, my yard is not very remarkable. Or not enough to trigger spontaneous garden visits. Oh well, I enjoy myself and that's what counts! And DH enjoys me enjoying it, which is great, too.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations