Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linda_jo_gw

Trading when you don't have much.

linda_jo
12 years ago

I am enjoying my first year fruits of my ws labors. Last year some people were nice enough to send me seeds with no trade. Now I have seeds but they are the ordinary ones everyone has. I would love to have some of the things I read about on this forum but not sure what to do. Should I buy unusual seeds and trade them? I just want Joe Pye and Tall Garden Phlox and some others people have mentioned. I guess I could buy my own seed but trading last year was fun. What do you do when you are new?

LindaJo

Comments (7)

• bakemom_gw
    12 years ago

keep your eyes out for the Newbie Seed Project which will start up in the fall. Choice of seed is mine to make the project move faster, but there are unusual and common seeds in each pack.

also keep in mind that some seeds are common because they are great plants tried and true. It doesn't hurt to beef up your beds with the champs.

• linda_jo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I agree bakemom. I love the "ordinary", but from what I read traders are looking for something they don't have. I did get a newbee packet last winter from you. Thank you again. Great variety of seeds in there. Can I request that again this year? I appreciate all that work you put into the project. LindaJo

• bakemom_gw
    12 years ago

The Newbie Seed project is for everyone whether you are new or not. Anyone can feel free to participate as much as they want.

If you are a return participant, I would wait until February or so when all the big donations are pouring in.

• jeanne
    12 years ago

Harvest the seed that you do have and put it on your trade page. What seems common to you might be just the thing that another gardener wanted. Post on the seed exchange for offers, if somebody replies and wants something off of your page I'm sure you'll be able to find something on theirs that you want too! Have fun!

Jeanne

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

LindaJo - my neighbor has Joe Pye and lots of tall phlox. I walked over to check yesterday and his tall phlox are loaded with seeds but they're still green. It'll be several weeks before I harvest either one but I will harvest them as soon as they're ripe. Send me an email and I'll mark you down for those seeds in exchange for SASBE/BEAP or let me know what you have for trade and I just might see something on your list that I don't have. Also, if you check my Wants list, there might be something on it that you have.

• Margie Crawford
    12 years ago

I agree with the comments above - post your list and I'm sure you'll have offers. Last year I ordered quite a few less common seeds from commercial sources but then still needed zinnias, sunflowers, etc. I also recommend that you include some specific items on your want list. I know I'm not the only trader that likes to send extras from somebody's want list - it's fun to send something people are looking for. If you like the element of surprise, the round robin forum is also a fun way to trade; it seems to get more active in the winter. There are plenty of common seeds but you'll likely get some new things, too. Have fun!
    Margie

• drippy
    12 years ago

Swaps! The Round Robin Exchange has both robins and seed swaps - I like the swap route, myself. The host collects seeds from everyone and redistributes. The general rule of thumb is pack for pack - e.g., you send in 5 packs, you get back 5 packs. However, many of us 'vets' send in more than we want back, so newbies often make out well.

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks