Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pvick_gw

What is this?

PVick
12 years ago

My clematis 'The President" did not do well at all this year. Last month, I cut the plant back to the ground, in preparation for repotting it. Well, before I got the around to doing that, he started re-growing like mad and now is full of buds, the first two of which opened today.

In the same pot, this has started to grow:

{{gwi:427284}}

It's a relatively small thing right now, and seems to be vining (or putting out runners?).

Any ideas what it might be? If it's a tree or some such, I'd like to get it out of the pot asap - another clematis pot has a bird-delivered tree which is in so firmly that I can't pull it out at this point.

TIA ....

PV

Comments (5)

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

"Leaflets three--let it be" Sure looks like poison ivy to me with the reddish stem. That was the first thing that popped into my head when I scrolled down and saw the picture. Then I read "seems to be vining" and was truly horrified! Use a plastic bag turned over your hand to pull it out and toss it in the garbage.

• PVick
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Container gardening is getting to be quite challenging, ya know? I've been handling that stuff for weeks, with no ill effects.

OK, I'm pulling it!

PV

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

PV - I could walk through it barefoot most of my life then about age 58, it got me on the arm and I thought I'd go out of my so-called mind in the two weeks it took for the rash to heal. Did you Google it to see if the images match what's in your container?

I sure hated to pour sand on your campfire but didn't want you to find out the hard way it was PI.

• PVick
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, I did google it, and looks like that's what it is. It's history now - wrapped up in a plastic bag and tossed down the compactor.

Funny, since you told me what it was, I've been itching all over! (Probably just need a shower ... ;>)

PV

• aliska12000
    12 years ago

It wasn't poison ivy. It's Boston Ivy and is invasive but some people like it to climb and cover their bricks, etc. I had it for years and didn't know what it was until finally somebody around here told me, sounded right.

Neighbor across the street has it covering the front of his house. My old neighbors let it get loose, it climbed up their garage and covered half the roof. The city got on them, and they had to tear it off. It got up the whole back of my garage, I tore it all off, and my sun used a stiff brush and got all the clingy dried sticky tendrils it leaves behind and then a nice coat of paint.

We've yanked so much of that off the house, I don't let it start climbing anywhere, but you're never completely rid of it, reseeds from neighbors and also underground oh it spreads like that grass, can't just yank it out, pops up somewhere else, can't think of the word.

I yank it with my bare hands, don't worry about it. Poison ivy leaves are smoother on the edges, although they can have one or so indents, usually shiny leaves that can be slightly growing downward. But there are probably several varieties.

Boston Ivy can have varied leaves, too, or people on google images id it wrong.

Man that looks like nasty stuff at the link. I only had it once as a child with one blister on my leg. My parents right away knew what it was and treated it and taught me what to look for. Either I'm no longer susceptible to it or have been lucky in spotting it. A lot is luck, I guess. I've tramped through woods and brushy areas without even thinking umpteen times. And I have very fair, sensitive skin.

Here is a link that might be useful: Poison Ivy

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz