Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bakemom_gw

Newbie Seed Project 2013-14 Donation time

bakemom_gw
10 years ago

I am now accepting seed donations for Newbie Seed Project 2013-14. This is year 8 or 9 for this project. Newbies send stamps and a mailing label and get 20+ packs of seeds -either flowers or veggies or both. 100s of people participate each year. Offerings start in November and run through the spring.

RIGHT NOW, ONLY DONATIONS PLEASE.

Bakemom/Karen McCoy
1630 Ardwick Road
Columbus, Ohio 43220

I accept seeds in any form.

Comments (25)

• plays_in_dirt_dirt
    10 years ago

I'll send some ... have already packaged some and waiting on others to ripen ...

• ghoghunter
    10 years ago

I'm just starting to collect..not a lot is ripe yet. I will collect when I can! So nice you are doing this again this year. You're the best!!!
    Joann

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

I've already collected lots, and more to come. Thanks again for your enthusiasm. I hope you get half as much fun out of this as you give all of us.

Martha

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    10 years ago

Karen,

I might have tons of rudbeckia seed, but they're originally from a huge bag of seeds I got in an exchange. They are a mix of several varieties, and I couldn't begin to guess which ones. Are mixed bags like that OK?

Caryl

• beesneeds
    10 years ago

I can send in some seed :)

• bakemom_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Got four large donations so far. Thanks everyone. Keep em coming. I like to start before the solstice. My turnaround time is less than 24 hours. I have saved some perennial scabiosa and have some amsonia ready to ripen.

• kimka
    10 years ago

A good size packet of seed donations will go in the mail to you tomorrow.

KimKa

• sandysoil_2008 6A Near Boston
    10 years ago

Karen, you gave me lots of seeds a couple of years ago that I needed for the garden at my new house. Well, it's payback time! So I'll be sending some seeds your way.

Sheila

• terrene
    10 years ago

I will be sending some too! I am collecting lots of seed this fall, probably more than ever. I so enjoy the collecting, drying, and cleaning process, knowing the potential for beauty and life in eah little seed. It is very relaxing and therapeutic for me.

Can you give us an idea what you might need? I would like to send seeds that aren't duplicates, if possible. Or maybe it doesn't matter.

• bakemom_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

any seeds are welcome. i put together nice variety packs so noobs can try many different plants. This project runs so smoothly now and it's truly a pleasure. It doesn't take as much time as it used to.

i harested amsonia today for noobs!

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    10 years ago

Hi Karen,

I'm drying seeds now, mostly just common varieties. But I do have a really pretty purple malva that I want to get seeds from. Unfortunately, it's still in full bloom and no seed pods are fully formed yet. How long can you accept donations?

Caryl

• bakemom_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

i accept donations in any form year around. This is a well organized project that fits nicely into a large rubbermaid container.

• mjzzyzoff
    10 years ago

This is awesome! I will try and put together a package for you soon! :) I like what terrene said about the value of every seed - I get that way too. I'm also terrible at thinning seedlings. I usually find a pot or some place out of the way to put them to at least give them a fighting chance!

• mjzzyzoff
    10 years ago

Karen - I was just writing down your address and realized you are in Columbus - I am too! (sort of - Hilliard schools and address but Columbus taxes/services).

I'm thinking about trying to start a community garden at our local park next year, so maybe if you end up with bunches of seeds I could grab some for that.

• bakemom_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm in upper Arlington. Story gardener and princess Mimi are in Hilliard. The spring swap is in Hilliard. I'll help you with your project any way I can.

• kimka
    10 years ago

So how are you for seed donations, Bakemom. Have lots come in or are you in desparate need?

• bakemom_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Everything is moving along fine. There have been about 8 donations so far and i have seeds I have saved. I try to get some packs ready for the beginning of December for those who want to solstice sow.

things usually pick up after the holidays and go full speed through the spring. i expect most donations will arrive after the first of the year.

• yeli0507
    10 years ago

im a newbie how can i get some seeds?

• terrene
    10 years ago

Hi Bakemom, I was doing a SASBE/BEAP last night, and put together a pack of seeds for your project too. They will be going out in the mail today.

I think it's really nice that you do this for Newbies. Hope you have another great year with your project!

Terrene

• katbird
    10 years ago

Hi Karen (Bakemom)
    Are you going to post after the first for us winter sowers who are new with no seeds?
    I am having to start over with gardens cause of personal issues for past couple of years, so I am looking forward to getting my feet dirty again!
    Thank you for the great job you do!

• bakemom_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bagging up the donations...thanks everyone. Getting my own donations dried and ready for packaging. Trying New England aster this year.

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

I cleaned out my seed stash, so will be sending another donation package. I didn't put a note inside, but many of the envelopes could be opened and divided, since there are tons of seeds in each package. I just ran out of small envelopes.

Thanks again for doing this.

• yeli0507
    10 years ago

So how can I as a newbie get some seeds? I really need donations :( thanks again for doing this. I think it's really nice of all you guys.

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    10 years ago

Hi Karen,

Sent out seeds today.

Caryl

• bakemom_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Seeds have all arrived. I'm putting everyone here to work bagging and labeling. After this week, I should be ready to begin early offerings so noobs wil have seeds by the solstice. Remember, I have 24 hour turnaround time or less, so they come back pretty quickly.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm