Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help what is this catapillar/bug that is eating my snapdragons?

Posted by paulan70 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 16, 11 at 20:17

I have no clue what type of catapillar this is but a bunch of them have been munching on my snaps and there is one plant that is nothing but twigs.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help what is this catapillar/bug that is eating my snapdragon

I'm sorry but I don't know caterpillars very well. You might post this over on the Butterfly forum. They are very knowledgeable there.

o

It looks like the cats of the common buckeye butterfly! I am very jealous. I have only seen an adult here once, but have host plants planted just in case one ever shows up to lay eggs.
Link with more info.

http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/species/Junonia-coenia

o

Paula, you are lucky to have such a lovely butterfly's larvae eating your snaps! If you can stand it, sacrifice a few plants for them.

o

Yes now that I know what they are no seven dust for the snaps. I do not have the host plants for adults in my garden at least none listed from that website but most all butterflies love my zinnias.

Thank you very much for the help in Id'ing these guys.

Paula

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here