Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
faunus

Wintersowing - The Gateway Drug

faunus
12 years ago

You people in this forum are SNEAKY. I came here a couple of years back to learn how to start some plants cheaply for my sister's flowerbeds. From one end of the forum to the other I read about wintersowing, how easy it is, and how it gives you really tough plants, not like those weaklings you buy in the stores.

So I tried it and sure enough it works like a charm. So this past winter, I did my duty once again and set out my soda bottles in January and once again, was rewarded with really nice and strong plants.

However, it just occurred to me, why do I still have jugs and bottles sitting outdoors in the middle of summer? Indeed, how is it possible that I have been wintersowing from January until now? How did wintersowing turn into year round outdoor sowing?

It all began with the winter 2010 strawberry foxgloves that couldn't get delivered as of yet, for various reasons. Then I ran across the absurd notion that some plants, like those d@m# shasta daisy seeds do better if planted in summer. Given I had those seeds and haven't been able to get them to sprout over two winters, I decided to toss them outside in July, in soda bottles, in the shade, with the tops cut off the bottles. Well it just so happens that candytuft and blanket flower are the same, so why not start them in July as well?

So now, I have even more plants going outdoors, using so-called wintersowing techniques and wintersowing has turned into almost year round sowing!

Why don't yall name this forum what it really is:

'Wintersowing until you get hooked into year round outdoor sowing like the rest of us!'

Back outside I go to load up the crackpipe, I mean toss some more seed down. Where did I put those two packets of hollyhock seeds?

Comments (16)

• bakemom_gw
    12 years ago

Welcome. Accept that you are powerless over your seedy impulse and that your pot ghetto has become unmanageable.

That's the first step - the goal being acceptance rather than abstention.

• terrene
    12 years ago

I was already hooked on gardening before I started the winter-sowing method, including starting plants from seed, but to a lesser extent. So for me it wasn't a "gateway" drug, but whatever it is, it's sure made the addiction worse. LOL

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Looks as though you've uncovered our *dirty* little secret. Must admit I'm in *ecstasy* when I see this:

{{gwi:352756}}

go from *pot* to earth and then make gaudy spectacles of themselves like this:

{{gwi:212042}}

{{gwi:348919}}

{{gwi:348922}}

{{gwi:199160}}

and these:

{{gwi:199163}}

{{gwi:199161}}

{{gwi:199152}}

{{gwi:199149}}

{{gwi:199287}}

{{gwi:199151}}

{{gwi:199167}}

Well, the way I look at it, everyone has vices of one sort or another...

• northforker
    12 years ago

Oh Eileen, with that camara of yours, you are the biggest "drug pusher" on here!!!! So so pretty. Can I claim grandma status to that Verbascum? And maybe the blackberry lily?

I need those red lupines. I need them bad. Is there a long list for seed beggers at this point (as you have flashed their stunning color to tempt us before..)

Nancy

• albertar
    12 years ago

LOL, thats all I could think of when I read the opening post then I scrolled down and saw Nancy asking for seeds of those Lupine, LOL, well my friend if you get some, save me a few too please!!!

Alberta

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Thanks, fellow GW WS druggies! Yes, indeed, nan those verbascum 'Milkshake' blooms are your grand-blossoms. Not sure about the blackberry lilies because I got seeds from quite a few folks but the germination on all of them was amazing so it could definitely be yours.

I've put you & Alberta on the red lupine seed list. Alberta, I'll need your mailing address when the time comes. The seeds are all harvested & ready to go whenever you're ready for them.

• MissMyGardens
    12 years ago

Thank you, thank you, thank you, gardenweed!

Pics of those gorgeous flowers just made my day.

Without my own gardens anymore I was craving photos from others to get a pick me up. :)

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Happy to provide the eye candy newbie_in_nj!! I'm completely shameless and don't mind showing off my bloomers whenever I get the chance.

As long as we're all mellow and tripping out...

{{gwi:420470}}

{{gwi:254736}}

{{gwi:416623}}

{{gwi:420496}}

{{gwi:197266}}

{{gwi:420517}}

{{gwi:420484}}

{{gwi:420498}}

{{gwi:420508}}

{{gwi:420531}}

{{gwi:420511}}

{{gwi:420504}}

{{gwi:254734}}

{{gwi:420520}}

• pippi21
    12 years ago

How can anybody not believe in Wintersowing after seeing those results? You're right, it becomes an addiction but it's a healthy one! Eileen, that Cupid's Dart is such a pretty color..my favorite of course! Do they get very tall? I know I looked it up once and don't know if I wrote it down or not. Thought you'd remember off the top of your head. Is that Prairie Sun or Irish eyes rudbeckia? They look so much alike that I find it hard to tell them apart unless they would be place side by side.

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

pippi21 - Catananche caerulea/Cupid's dart grows to 2 ft. from my experience which is just right for where I have it planted. My only complaint is there aren't as many blooms as I'd hoped for but the reason may be I have it growing in part sun rather than full sun. I love the color too and will sow lots more of it this year. I saved seeds from the spent blooms so I have those to WS along with any commercial seeds I can find.

• ontheteam
    12 years ago

Ok I MUST have those Lupin..for myself..and any tricks to get them to G R O W .... Grrr... and well heck..I want it allllll

• tomerrol
    12 years ago

gardenweed, your flowers looks great!! And you wintersowed all these I take it? Its amazing! Dang I just hope a few of mine I plan on wintersowing this winter turns out like yours. You do have a "green" thumb and some pretty "bloomers",,,,I mean "flowers!!
    thanks for sharing those. Makes me excited to get started..and I had never liked winter that much, but I think this winter will be different!
    Tom

• ontheteam
    12 years ago

And OP..
    Winter Sowing has turned in to a Productive year round obsession for me. I used WS to grow plants for a fundraiser I do for Children's Hospital in Boston. It started BECAUSE of WS. I found it and the 1st year did about 75 jugs... and had way more plants then I knew what to do with. I approached Costco in Avon MA and they let me sell em there.. In 3 years we have raised a lot of $$ for Children's/ So be warned LOL>>.

Here is a link that might be useful: THIS is what Wintersowing turned in to here...

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Thanks Tom - all the flowers in the photos were WS except the very last one. 'Golden Goblin' gaillardia/blanket flower was purchased but I didn't realize I'd included that one until after I hit the submit button. Glad you like my bloomers!!

Even after the 8 ft. of snow & brutal cold (-19F) last winter brought, I still look forward to December, January, February because of WS. It was my second year to WS and I was eager to get started even though I was determined not to sow another 486 milk jugs like I did year one!!! These are just a few I can cross off this year's list:

Alchemilla mollis/lady's mantle
    Baptisia australis/false indigo
    Astilbe
    Coreopsis/tickseed
    Echinacea/coneflower
    Gaillardia/blanket flower
    Gaura lindheimeri/wandflower
    Heuchera/coral bells
    Hibiscus
    Hosta
    Lupine
    Monarda/bee balm
    Rudbeckia/gloriosa daisy
    Salvia/sage
    Spirea

Here's the amazing part:
    Lupine
    {{gwi:367907}}

{{gwi:379320}}

Salvia/sage
    {{gwi:428889}}

Penstemon/beardtongue
    {{gwi:428891}}

Trollius ledebouri/Chinese globeflower
    {{gwi:212030}}

{{gwi:367053}}

{{gwi:212045}}

• sassybutterfly_2008
    12 years ago

I'm actually looking forward to winter as well for these very same reasons. I get so giddy when I peek inside and see some green!! Definitely makes the colder days more tolerable!

Sponsored