Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
muddypaws4ever

Walking my dogs while I.......

muddypaws4ever
12 years ago

...... pick up neighbor's milk jugs out of their recycling bins. I had good success this year, but hate dealing with those 2 liter bottles. Only milk jugs this year. I intend to go out on garbage/recycling day with my dogs and see what I can find for this winter! I'm already thinking ahead. There's something wrong with being in mid summer and already thinking about winter sowing!

Comments (5)

• dorothy4981
    12 years ago

Nothin wrong at all... according to my countdown calendar we have 118 days, 4 hours and 30 minutes before we start winter sowing again!

Dorothy (Meadows)

• northforker
    12 years ago

Milk jugs re my favorite too and I've found I can save and use them from year to year. I can now get those "brownies" of seedlings out without cutting off the top.

My second favorite container is the clear deep boxes that spinach/salad mixes come in and cookies from BJ's wholesale USE to come in. On my last trip I saw that BJ's had switched to a truly inferior container that won't work well for WSing (hard to explain, but it's cut on a slant now, making one end not deep enough for promix.)The nerve!!!!

When your walking the dog...look for seed heads too! they almost alwasy need adoption and are going to waste in gardens where no one will harvest them.

• aliska12000
    12 years ago

Noooooo, I guess we're hopeless. I didn't go scavenging for milk jugs but can save enough for my needs because I don't want to go overboard and have other stuff I can plant in. Have saved about 9 ice cream tubs with the handles though.

But . . . um, I took my garbage cart out to the alley, and these bags have been sitting across the alley for ages, no stickers on them, no free period yet, city won't take them.

Sooooooo, I decide to see what they've got over there, it's a rental for some time now, and the beautiful peony is getting more and more crowded with weeds. Daggone, I won't snitch the peony but will weed around it so it will bloom next spring, a really beautiful one.

Well, I peeked in the kraft bags and found two full of nice pin oak leaves. I lost my tree and was planning to get some from the alley later and maybe the neighbor across the way, but have a good start now. Two bags had a bunch of junk mixed in with the leaves so I left them.

Got the 1st dumped in my little compost bin, picked up the second and the bottom fell out. So I scooped up what I could and kept any more from scattering until I stuck it in one of those Walmart tubs I just got emptied last week. It looks so much better out there. I had tons of containers from two years ago, finally got it all cleaned up. Now I'm just about ready to plant what's left.

• bakemom_gw
    12 years ago

Remember, if you are caught in your neighbors' garbage - yell "school project." It helps to have a kid (any kid will do)right there to nod its small head in agreement.

• aliska12000
    12 years ago

Hah, that's a good idea. I have a little grandson who would be only too happy to do that. His mom is a curb shopper, emailed me she'd found a nice coffee table which works for his homework. Now if she'd only take the toboggan she parked by the side of my house for two winters now, didn't bother to try it out. I think they can be dangerous anyway if you can't control them.

Sponsored