Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kassaundra

A newbie question.

Kassaundra
12 years ago

Hello, I just came across this idea a week or so ago and have been reading all the info I can find on it. It actually sounds to good to be true! But I am making plans to attempt this method this winter for my veggie garden (and companion herbs and flowers). Anyway this may have already been answered somewhere, but I haven't found any mention of it. One of the sites said you could plant out a whole childs swimming pool, leaving it uncovered, but making sure it has drainage. So if I make my individual newspaper pots and plant them out and pack them into the swimming pool is there any reason that won't work?

Comments (6)

• bev2009
    12 years ago

Welcome to the WSing support group...support for the details and support for the obsession that will develop. LOL

Sometimes it helps to have an answer from someone from your zone. I'm a zone 6 so I can tell you I couldn't plant tender vegetables (tomatoes, lettuce, etc.) in an uncovered container in the winter and expect them to survive. There are a lot of experts here who can probably answer better than me. Have fun!

• bakemom_gw
    12 years ago

There are some Okie winter sowers on this forum who can probably help. I lived in OKC for 8 years, but I have only winter sowed in Ohio. I know that it is a whole nuther ballgame out there.

• docmom_gw
    12 years ago

You wouldn't need to cover the entire pool, as long as the individual containers had some sort of clear plastic cover with small ventilation holes to maintain the moist environment that allows for germination. And the pool would need drainage holes.

Martha

• trudi_d
    12 years ago

The kiddie pool will hold at least six inches deep of soil, and at three or four feet across that is a lot of soil. That much soil retains a lot of moisture, that's why you don't need to cover. Small paper pots hold a miniscule amount of soil and water--I can imagine them drying out rapidly when they're exposed to the air. They have little depth or width and paper sides wick away moisture. You can put the paper pots into smaller containers, several will fit nice in a milk-jug, and with it's cover (cap still off) you'll have greater success, I don't think they would dry out as quick as exposed pots in the kiddie pool.

Why not use the kiddie pool, it has some drainage gashes of course, fill it with soil, water it well, section the top and sow the seeds. Ahhh, it works like a charm. I know it to be so because you're refering to my kiddie pool planters ;-)

• Kassaundra
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I was thinking the paper pots would make transplanting easier, and not disturb the roots at all. I was also thinking they would be moderately snuggly packed in helping to retain the moisture, and cut out a step, if they are all planted in the pool, wouldn't you need to prick them and transplant into an individual container prior to placing them in the ground?

• docmom_gw
    12 years ago

Trudi,
    How do you keep critters out of the pool? Don't birds, skunks and raccoons play havoc with your seeds and seedlings?

Martha

Sponsored