Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barb_roselover_in

Problem with white marigolds

barb_roselover_in
12 years ago

Obviously I am not winter sowing now, but have a problem that I am not getting any answers for. I planted a whole pot of white marigolds--wonderful foliage--no flowers. My DIL said she has never been able to raise them. I fertilized with Fish fertilizer. Can anybody help me? I got some special fertilizer today that was supposed to help flowering. Barb

Comments (8)

• bakemom_gw
    12 years ago

My guess would be that they thrive in leaner soil. Just a guess.

As for the white marigolds, mine always looked dirty, not really white.

I would be interested in what others think.

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

I've got the same issue. All green. No blooms.

• northforker
    12 years ago

Enough sun? My marigolds only bloom in full, all day sun.

• girlgroupgirl
    12 years ago

I have some marigolds that are all foliage and few flowers this year too. I saved seeds from a friend. They are not however white, but they may either have too much nitrogen from the compost I added. Her reseed ever year and are gorgeous and so full of blooms you can hardly see a leaf.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    12 years ago

I used white marigold seedlings that I bought two years ago and they were really pretty. I do remember that they took quite awhile to bloom and were not quick at all like regular marigolds are. They were nice and white and I would grow them again. Not sure about whether you can grow them from collected seed, if they are a hybrid? Can't imagine why they haven't bloomed yet, though.

• terrene
    12 years ago

I've never even heard of white marigolds. Anybody got a pic?

This year I purchased a pot of really pretty marigolds at the Ace Hardware. They are yellow-orange with red edges. There were 4 in the pot and I separated them and planted them in the veggie garden. I have started collecting some seed.

Does anybody know if they will seed true??

• Fran Friedman
    8 years ago

Last year I bought a tray of white marigolds from the Orange County NY Arboretum. It was the 1st time I've ever seen them. They grew well, some better than others and I'll buy them again this year if I can. According to a Google search, they were developed by Burpee after a long "contest". The deer left them alone!

Can anyone suggest a showy red flower that deer won't usually eat?

\\\\\\\\\

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    8 years ago

For true red, they've never touched any of the salvias I've planted. I picked up 4 more 'Hot Lips' at a nursery yesterday for that reason (and the hummingbirds love them). Supposed to be hardy to Z6a, but I will sometimes lose them in winter, might be our wet not our cold.

They've never eaten any of the gold rudbeckias either, I wonder how they would feel about the red Cherry Brandy.

I'm finding there are very few things they really won't at least try (darned fawns mostly). I had a doe in the driveway island bed eating thread leaf coreopsis yesterday and they aren't supposed to like coreopsis and I hadn't sprayed it with repellent. They've never bothered the deciduous azaleas in front that were here when we bought the house, so I bought a yellow flowering one and put it in back - they ate it.

I just came in for a break and to check emails. I probably don't smell good, I've been outside spraying Bobbex repellent ;) Again. It seems to really help, but I have to be careful to keep any new growth sprayed. They will even leave the zonal geraniums alone if treated.