Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
evonnestoryteller

Hollyhock Rust

evonnestoryteller
15 years ago

I grew a lot of hollyhocks this year. Most of them are doing well, but some of them are getting rust. I have been spraying them regularly with a recipe I found on the net. I also read that amending the soil with cornmeal helps as well. (Of course, I wonder how that can help, but I am willing to try everything.)

The rest of the scoop is to throw away leaves, not mulch them. Remove infected leaves as much as possible, etc.

This is the spray recipe that I found in another post on this site:

Healthy Hollyhock Spray

1 1/2 tsp. baking soda

1 tbsp. canola oil

1/2 tsp. Ivory dish liquid soap

1/2 C. white vinegar

1 gallon water.

Another post said to spray them with milk and water in a 1 to 1 solution.

Reading the offical news from the regular garden writers, they say not to wet the leaves when watering. Probably all the rain this year is taking its toal with the rust coming in.

Anyone out there successfully treating their hollyhocks for rust with organic recipes? I would like to hear from you.

Comments (9)

• northerner_on
    15 years ago

Evonne:
    I started growing hollyhocks last year and I did have rust. An old southern lady, from whom I got some seeds, told me to amend the soil with cornmeal because that's what they do. I did it and it worked. This year, I had only two plants - one that I put in the ground in the Fall, and one that I had in the ground from early spring, and which I had treated for rust with cornmeal. This summer, I did not get around to applying the cornmeal, and the 'new' one, which had never had the cornmeal treatment, had terrible rust. I had to remove almost all the leaves. Whereas, the one which had had some treatment last summer had a little rust, but very light - not enough to cause the leaves to need removal. So I do believe that it helps, but we'll have to see if anyone else has any proven remedies.
    Northerner.

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    15 years ago

I heard about the corn meal a few years back. I wasn't growing Mallows and Hollyhocks in the gardens since they always got the rust so badly it infected the buds and they would drop before being able to bloom. I tried applying it in the spring along with my compost and alfalfa pellets as a top dress and have since grown the tall Marshmallow (Althaea Officinalis), Coca cola Hollyhocks and Figleaf Hollyhocks.

There is still a bit of rust here and there, but nothing compared to what used to be there a few years ago. I no longer hesitate to winter sow these beauties.

You can purchase it at your local feed store. Mine usually only sells 50 lb. bags but they have accomodated my request and now sell 10 lb. bags to gardeners.

Here is a link that might be useful: Great info on Rust.

• evonnestoryteller
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for your responses! I went out and sprinkled corn meal over the ground today. Call me inspired. :)

I am glad to hear it works! Thanks for the link too. That is a great link on cornmeal!

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    15 years ago

Keep in mind Evonne that this isn't a foolproof thing. Make sure you clean out the foliage at the end of the season. You might want to sprinkle some cornmeal then and in the spring. The problem will definitely be much less than what you are experiencing now. Feed the soil and it will feed the plants. Cornmeal has an NPK value of 9-0-0, so lots of nitrogen.

Just in case you might like to know the NPK value of other things, here's a link. :O) (I like reading this stuff. LOL!)

Here is a link that might be useful: NPK of lots of stuff.

• evonnestoryteller
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks! This is the second time I sprinkled corn meal this season on the surrounding soil.

You will have to tell me what Coca-Cola hollyhocks are and perhaps direct me to a photo.

• evonnestoryteller
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I read that the alcea rugosa and fig-leaved hollyhocks are resistant to rust.

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    15 years ago

Evonne,

Unfortunately 'resistant to rust' does not mean they won't get it. Kind of like the purple Monarda I bought last year that said resistant to mildew - NOT!!! It's heading for the compost this fall.

I have grown the Russian Hollyhock and the Figleaf. If you check out the Russian Hollyhock seeds at Swallowtail Gardens, it will tell you they are resistant to rust. Not so. They may be less prone to it, but don't be surprise if they develope it.

Oh, and Coca Cola Hollyhocks are red with a white fringe on the outside of the petals. Mine grew as such for a couple of years, but when they started flowering a week ago, I noticed no white. :O( They sure were pretty!!

• evonnestoryteller
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That sounds a lot like the 'Creme de Cassis' Hollyhock. They look very pretty.

• lblack61
    15 years ago

Trudi had told me that her family had always poured boiling water on the plant. I've done that late fall and early spring on them, and they haven' had rust since.
    I was always afraid I'd burn the plant away, but it doesn't.
    But I think I also had amended the soil with cornmeal everywhere in the yard (not just the HHs).
    But I will definitely clip your post, Evonne, because that recipe could come handy (I'm putting in more HHs for next year.

Linda

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting