Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bev2009

What are you doing with WS produce?

bev2009
12 years ago

I've been busy roasting WS tomatos, (seeds from Trudi). After roasting, I put in zip lock bags, smash flat and stack in freezer for future use. I also just processed my first tomato seeds to save for next year per instructions on WSing website.

A friend gave me seeds from one of the best tomatoes I have ever tasted, Aunt Jenny Purple. Hopefully this will work and the seeds will be viable next spring.

What are you up to?

Comments (6)

• trudi_d
    12 years ago

I've been saving seeds and simmering sauce all day. My big stock pot was filled with mater halves and left to boil a bit, then I put it all through the food mill and cooked it down for several hours. Yum. My house smells like tomato juice. When I make sauce I leave it plain and then season as I use it. Took in two beautiful zukes today, they are my omelet tomorrow morning. Have a lifetime of basil this season--cinnamon, purple, lemon and genovese, all so nice, especially since I discovered basil mojitos which are (IMHO) prettiest with purple basil.

• daisydawnny
    12 years ago

I have been saving seeds, got a beauty from a friend called Virginia Sweets, she is supposed to be giving me another called Persimmon I think, really pretty slices!

I had over 50 varieties of seed I ordered from Trudi, it has been a fun Tomatoe lovers Summer!

So far I have canned 2 batches of Salas and a batch of Brushetta, yum yum! I also made Cowboy Candy from my Jalapenos, addicting!

Today I will most likely cook some down for sauce and freeze, that is if the power does not go out.

• PVick
    12 years ago

I didn't get my toms planted out until the first week in July, so I'm only now seeing fruits developing. But I'll be picking tons of toms in the next few weeks (I hope), especially since I brought them inside during Irene. I did not want to lose anything! Grew 'Cherokee Purple' and 'Orange Russian' (a la Trudi) this year.

But I've been pigging out on Swiss chard (luv-luv-luv the stuff) and basil for weeks now. Some of the cukes are ready for picking now, and others should be ready by the time the tomatoes ripen. And my bell peppers are really plentiful this year. I'm leaving most of them alone until they turn red on the vine, though I have used a few.

The spinach that bolted early - it was so hot in May when they were planted out - has actually reseeded in the pot, so there should be a few plants ready later in the fall.

I am so looking forward to a fresh tomato salad with balsamic vinegar and olive oil and some fresh basil sprinkled on top! Simple, simple - and so delicious!

@trudi - basil mojitos? Hmmmm ....

PV

• trudi_d
    12 years ago

PV, you substitute the mint for basil and you're good to go. If you want, garnish with a flowering sprig of basil and a lime slice for eye-candy effect.

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

We gave a lot of vegetables to are neighbors. The 'Kosvo' Tomato really tasty.

• drippy
    12 years ago

Cucumber raita tonight...I froze several tomatoes whole before I left for a trip to the UK, and will pull them for sauce later. Yellow summer squash is good, and pumpkins are ripening on the vine, if I can beat the bugs to them. AL high heat & dryness did in a lot while I was gone, but I still have plenty of cherry tomatoes, some standards, and it is definitely the Year of Basil.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations