Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northerner_on

Kind of Silly Question

northerner_on
12 years ago

I have been wintersowing using 2-litre bottles for a long time, but now that I am doing some indoor planting I am entertaining the idea of BUYING a starter kit. One interesting one states that the pots are '3.5 inch pots' , but what does the 3.5 inches refer to? Height, depth, circumference at the top? I have measured the diameter of the top of all the little round pots I have (the pic. indicates they are round), none of them is 3.5 inches. Just want to know what I am buying first. Google lists lots of 3.5 inch pots, but they are black square pots mostly, and 3.5 inches refers to the depth. Thank you all.

Comments (5)

• littleonefb
    12 years ago

according to my friend, who is a local farmer, it could mean several different things.

diameter of the pot
    height of the pot.
    width of the pot at the top

To be sure of what the measurement means, you need to contact the company that is selling the starter kit you are thinking about purchasing and ask them what the pot size numbers really mean.

Just to be safe, if you do call, get the name of the person you talked with, so that if you do decide to order this starter kit and the pots are different than what you where told, you have something in info to deal with if you run into problems in returns. etc.

Fran

• kqcrna
    12 years ago

I've bought square ones, and it referred to the top dimensions. Depth can vary. The site should give hxlxd. If they don't, I'd ask too.

Keep in mind, square ones fit better into a tray. I assume you'll want a tray with humidity dome if you're starting them inside.

I've used bigger pots like that for plants, but I usually use a cell tray with dome for indoor seeds. Novosel is a good place for those.

I also use food trays with clear lids.
    {{gwi:423555}}

Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: Novosel

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    12 years ago

I get my supplies from Charleys, some of the pots/trays I'm using are 15 yrs old now.

I especially like the 3 1/2x5" square pots for growing on perennials and shrubs, trees for space saving while allowing good root depth - when I'm sharing plants, whenever possible I ask for those back. Like the 2x4 large cell trays too, use them indoors and out.

I don't find a lot of use for the domes, when sowing indoors and watching air circulation (damp off), the domes come off at the first sign of germination anyway and I can do the same with plastic food wrap. Does the kit you are considering have plastic or peat pots - I especially dislike those peat pots, either too wet or the opposite, wicking the moisture away from the seedlings, no happy in-between for me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Charleys

• northerner_on
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks to Fran, Karen and Morz for your input. As suggested, I called today and after a bit of a wait I was told the the pots re 3.5 inches deep and 3.5 inches in diameter. Actually what I like about this system is that it includes the 18 pots which sit in depressions in a holding tray. The holding tray sits in another tray with a self watering capillary mat. This is perfect for my tomatoes and peppers which I germinate in coffee filters in zip-loc bags which sit on the hot air vent in my dining room. I am very impatient, and like to see that the seeds are germinating, and I also ensure that each seed I 'pot up' is already growing. Currently, I am using styrofoam coffee cups, and a fairly deep tray I found at Goodwill, but the cups tend to be a bit wobbly when moved. Since each of these pots has it's own depression (about 3 inches deep) they will stay put and it will make hardening off easier.

Karen, I love your setup. I am currently using storage shelving in my basement, and the shelves are too close together. By the time my tomatoes are ready they are touching the above shelf so I need to get something for my plants alone. I particularly liked the metal shelves. I'll have to look around for something like that - maybe Ikea.

BTW Morz8, I have not had any damp off for quite a few years since I have been using weak chamomile tea for all my indoor watering needs: soaking the coffee filters, soaking any seeds I need to, and watering my seedlings. It works like a charm for me. I buy the tea bags at the bulk store, make one cup of tea overnight, pour it in a 2-litre bottle and fill with water. I water from the bottom but give the plants an occasional spray - I feel that keeps aphids and gnats away (perhaps it doesn't).

Well my tomatoes are turning and my peppers all have either green ones, blossoms, or buds (mostly hot peppers), so I'll be set for next season. This item is called Starter Combi Pak #3 by Veseys, a Canadian company from which I have bought seeds (before I knew about trading), bulbs, and perennials (before I knew about winter sowing). I think they also sell to the US. Here is a link to this item (hope this works):
    http://www.veseys.com/ca/en/store/tools/indoorseed/perfectstarter2
    Enjoy the rest of the summer!! I can feel the winter in my bones already!!!
    Northerner.

• kqcrna
    12 years ago

Northerner, I have some of those trays- square pots that sit in the depressions in the trays. They work well and are easy for bottom watering. I bought those from Novosel, and the metal shelving is cheap from Home Depot or Lowes here. The wire shelves work well for hanging lights with chains and S hooks.

I never have any damp-off, either, and I use humidity domes. I do sterilize the soil first, though, and I bottom water.

Karen

Sponsored