Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smokey28777

Where to buy seeds

smokey28777
9 years ago

I haven't had any luck asking for seeds on the forumns. I want to winter sow perennial flowers and looked everywhere this weekend and cannot find seeds to buy. Can anyone suggest a place to order perennial flower seeds?

Comments (15)

• kaesgarden
    9 years ago

I Purchased my seeds online, there are loads of places you can you usually get a pretty good deal as well. Just shop around. I got mine on Etsy and my germination rate so far on everything has been spot on, excellent.

• ladyrose65
    9 years ago

T's Flowers and Things, Hazzard's Seeds, Swallowtail Seeds, Everwilde Farms, Outsidepride and Amazon.com.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    9 years ago

Smokey, if you are buying seeds now, you are buying seeds harvested last year and offered for sale during the very end of 2013 and the gardening year 2014. If you wait a few weeks, the box stores and other suppliers, online seed sites will have their fresh inventory available.

That year often doesn't make a difference in germination rates but with some plants, it may. If you are finding low stock in your location, its because you are in between seasons, shops may be marking down or getting rid of the old, haven't yet received their new supply.

• smokey28777
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much for all your help. I will be following along and learning as I go. Sounds like we wont be actually sowing until January?? I am in zone 7. I started saving containers today and am waiting to buy seeds till the new stock is out. Is there anything else I should do at this point?

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    9 years ago

You may want to sow something on the solstice, if only to mark the beginning of the adventure (Dec 21) but if you're busy, that's OK too. Lots of us can't begin until after holidays. Had you thought about a good quality potting soil, sometimes when you want that right before sowing, local nurseries are full of trees and wreath supplies, box stores aisles crowded with decorations and lights instead of garden and garden container products.

• smokey28777
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Buying potting soil now is a great idea. Ill pick some up tomorrow. Thanks again for all the help!

• TNflowerlover Zone 7a
    9 years ago

My favorites are:

Everwilde
    Fedco Seeds
    JL Hudson
    Geoseed

All of them have a nice selection with great prices.

• pitimpinai
    9 years ago

Wait until a little later because bakemom offers newbie packs every winter.

I have a lot of left over seeds from years past. If you are interested, I will send you some before December. I also mail perennials and other plants to fellow gardenwebers for postage all the time. Take a look at my garden on my webpage. :-D

I just mailed a box of Rudbeckia triloba to a gardenweb friend in Connecticu yesterday. Are you interested? You live in a warmer zone than mine. You can still plant. ;-)

• ladyrose65
    9 years ago

Hello smokey28777, sometime you have to be diligent about some seeds esp. flowers: The multi-colored Echinacea is hot and they go out-of-stock fast. Certain Sunflowers like the 'Pro' also go out-of-stock fast.

Annies Heirloom seeds are non GMO. This company seeds go out-of-stock on certain vegetables. So don't wait too long.
    Welcome to Winter Sowing.

• pitimpinai
    9 years ago

I just ordered skinless cucumber seeds from Johnny's Selected seeds. I am al set for next spring. :-D

• gringo
    9 years ago

Some sources ; Park, Stokes, Pine Tree Garden, Select Seeds, Rohrer, Renee's, Botanical Interests & I'm sure there are many others too numerous to mention, plus, even some good ones on EBay that usually have a star, or are indicated as 'top rated'.

I've purchased many a 36 cell seed starting trays with clear lids & seed starting mix too, on sale, right at this time of year.

I can't wait that long to get started in December, as that's when hard freezes often start. So, if I don't get them going soon enough, (as in, real soon) & instread waited until Dec 21, they would mostly germinate & then suddenly freeze to death. Some suppliers& seed packets recommend, that you sow, well in advance of first frost, so plants have adequate time to become established & capable of surviving through winter. But, in zone ten, you really shouldn't have all that much to worry about. In fact, one of my perennial packets in front of me, suggests in an area such as yours, to sow, no later than Dec. 31st.
    But, in your case, it may still be best to do so sooner, as some seed requires cool stratification in order to help germinate & some perennials seedlings may need vernalization, to flower next spring or summer.

• gardenman101
    9 years ago

morz8, Buying seed now being last year seed sometimes come at 50% off so to new wintersowing this may be ideal. I shop the discounted seed as this really is my first year really doing it to the extreme. Im finding that at some places I can get some things at more then 50% off (ie under a $1). So this may be a perfect way for people to get into winter sowing on a budget. The older the seed though the thicker you may want to sow and then hopefully you may be able to save the seed from your plants then pass the savings on to other GW members starting out. There is a great program on here in the WS forum for those on a budget or new to WS so keep a look out. I had a miss hap when trying last year (postal issue) but im going to give it a try again this year.

• Sara
    9 years ago

I have had great germination from J.L. Hudson, Hazzards, The Sample Seed Shop, and Diane's Flower Seeds. I also collect seeds in the fall (when I can, and remember to lol).

Sara

• moonwolf_gw
    9 years ago

Another vote for Swallowtail and would also check out Renee's Garden.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• queen_gardener
    9 years ago

Smokey,
    I know I tried emailing you to offer seeds for SASE a long time ago. I'm a newbie, too, but I've had great luck trading this year - plants and seeds, on this site and another plus Craigslist, I've had the best luck here on GW.
    With that said, I have bought seeds twice from a lady on Etsy, she also sells on other sites. Sow Blessed Seeds - Kay Witte is her name. She sends them nicely packaged and padded with planting instructions AND a waterproof label! Pretty fair prices, too, and very nice plants to choose from.
    Be careful buying seeds on Amazon and eBay, some people are dishonest! You can't grow rainbow colored roses from seed . . . . But from honest dealers, you can find a wide selection of rare, heirloom, exotic, and/or native seeds, I like Etsy.com. I have bought from 4 different sellers, all were fine.
    Also, I like the standard catalogues, like Burpee and Gurneys, I've bought from them. I can find pretty much the same stuff at Lowes, though, in the spring. Walmart and Meijer (local to OH, IN, IL, MI, KY) had great selections, as well. I was impressed with one of the Walmarts here - like 2 LONG rows of only seeds and seed starting cells, the seed starting soil and potting soil was a whole 'nother aisle!
    Best of luck!

Sponsored