Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
1st time gardener

Posted by buckpitt 9 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 22, 13 at 3:24

Hello all,
First time gardener and of course I have missed spring. =)

I am in zone 9 and my winter temperatures will reach about 32F-35F.
My questions are is it too late to start planting them? Ive read that although they are winter plants you need to start early to give them some time before its gets too cold.
Also are carrots a good starting place or is there a better vegetable to start with?
Do I need a raise bed?
Can I start from seed in the ground or do I need to get one of those plastic trays and start the carrots in there and then move them to the yard?

Any advice appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 1st time gardener

Buck you might want to check a Florida or other southern forum for advice. With those temps I'd try most any of the spring, seed grown veggies, lettuce, spinach,,kale,maybe beets and peas but I'm guessing. I never lives where winter was that warm.
Good luck

o
RE: 1st time gardener

I would think carrots and radishes are great places to start. I would follow Beth's advice and check with a forum with similar climate to yours. I think it's wonderful that you are getting started in gardening. You could at least get some herbs going that will be perennial and might draw in some butterflies.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here