Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Surprise, surprise!! (Pics)

Posted by northerner_on Z5A ONCanada (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 16, 11 at 3:54

A few months back I posted a pic. of an 'unknown' plant which had grown in the container in which I had tried to grow the Nasturtiums that were so difficult for me. Eventually I got just 4 Nsturtium plants after many tries and several sets of seedlings. I knew these 'things' were not Nsties. and had started pulling them out when I thought I'd see if they are 'something'. No one on this forum or on the 'name that plant' forum could identify it, but I just kept it. A few weeks ago the large one seemed to be setting buds and look what it turned out to be:
Chelone
Chelone!! of all things. I love these plants and have been trying to grow them since 2006 when I decided to have a butterfly & hummingbird garden. I never had any success until last year when I was having some germination and an animal dug everything out of the container. I sowed it again this winter and my notes show 'no show' in my comments. I think I may have used that container for my Nasties (I do recycle such containers) and maybe they were slow growers and came up later. I am sorry that I ripped some of them out. Actually one of the leaves of this plant is ripped from that act. Now I'll have to get some more seeds.
The Nasties were worth the wait and the trouble. Here's what they produced:
Jewel Mixed
There's on other success I had this year with Lupines. Each year I planted out the seedlings, the cats would dig them out over winter. This year I covered them with cut off pop bottles and here's what I got. I thought the plants were red, but they came out pink and what a great combination, you'd think it was planned.
Peoies & Lupines (WS)
And finally, my 'thug' Helinthus Golden Queen has filled out and is gorgeous above the fence. The bees are loving it and it's wonderful in the sunlight. This picture does not do it justice: Helianthus Lemon Queen
Now I get the chance to start all over again!!
Northerner.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Surprise, surprise!! (Pics)

• Posted by tomva 7-central virginia (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 16, 11 at 7:47

Very very nice surprise indeed..

o

Wow, those Peonies and Lupines are lovely together!

o

Beautiful, Northerner.

Karen

o

Cool. Chelone. Pretty.

o

The lupine and peony combo is beautiful! I WS'd some lupine this year, but won't know the color until next. I'm surprised the two bloom at the same time. Here the peony bloom Memorial Day weekend and I would have thought the lupine would be later, but hopefully I'll find out next year.

o

I love them all. I never had trouble growing nasturtiums by direct sowing. In fact, I think I used to read that they resented transplanting, but ws'ing is a little different when you plant them with the soil intact around the roots.

But as soon as they started blooming nicely, the bottoms of the leaves would get covered with aphids, and they'd die. I had this white powder stuff I got and poofed on them (hard to get at the undersides), but it didn't work well, and I didn't like breathing that stuff or getting it on me plus I was working and didn't have time to trouble shoot like I can a little more now. Of course I wouldn't have known the hose trick which might have worked.

Maybe conditions have changed. One year I had aphids early on the rose buds but not so bad the last two years, so maybe I've got a different balance going now. Or maybe not.

Thanks for sharing your nice photos.

o

Wish we could grow lupines in this climate.

o

Thenk you all for your nice comments. Bev, my peonies start around memorial day but I have many and they bloom at different times, probably depending on the amount of light they get. This photo. was taken on June 4. The fuschias bloom even later.

I think I will continue to WS my nasturtiums in future. I've never had as much trouble as this year, when I started them in early spring. I find that they take off in the fall. Right now I have them planted with some morning glories and they are lovely. Thank you all.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here