Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pippi21

Growing morning glories in a large flower pot

pippi21
10 years ago

Has anybody tried growing Morning glories or moonflowers in a large patio flowerpot ? I'd love to hear about your experiences/success/failure with this idea.

Comments (7)

• littleonefb
    10 years ago

Been doing it for years, actually forgotten how many now because it's been so long.

I use MG potting mix for soil, just the regular, not the moisture retention kind. Found that became a hit or miss problem, depending on how much rain did or didn't fall and for how long. If we had too much rain, which in NE, one never knows what will happen, then the soil stayed so moist that the seedlings/plants would die of root rot.

I put cheap coffee filters on the bottom of the pot to cover all the holes, fill with the potting mix, and then place about 1/2 inch layer of bark mulch on top of the soil. If I am having cubic yards delivered I use that, otherwise a buy a bag of it at Kmart or some place like that.

One seedling per pot and I use 10-12 inch pots for the ones on the ground, and same size for hanging pots that I place on my shepard hooks.

The pots that go on the ground have a plastic green garden stake in the center of the pot beside the seedling and as it grows I wrap the vine around it and eventually itself.

The hanging pots I just put one seedling in the center of the pot and as it grows I wrap it around the hangers on the pot and itself.

Pics for you to see.

early call blue
    {{gwi:373361}}

cameo elegance
    {{gwi:377625}}

Mt fuji light blue
    {{gwi:373360}}

mt fuji fushia
    {{gwi:358559}}

morning glory heavenly blue, growing up and over an arbor. one vine in a 10 inch pot placed at each corner of the arbor. 4 plants in total.
    {{gwi:431317}}

rose silk
    {{gwi:373359}}

aomaraski, one plant in a 10 inch pot growing up the railing
    {{gwi:373354}}

flying saucer 1 plant in 10 inch pot growing up the railing
    {{gwi:431319}}

Enjoy growing them in pots. They are stunning this way.

Fran

• Connie Kru
    10 years ago

Wow Fran, they are lovely.

• ladyrose65
    10 years ago

The MG's are nice.

• PVick
    10 years ago

All so pretty, fran! Agreed, growing them in pots can really show them off. I have even grown them in small pots, pushing the limit: the pic below is 3 plants in a 6" pot. One of my favorite pictures.

{{gwi:431321}}

PV

• kimka
    10 years ago

Sure, heavenly blues in pots on the deck all the time, usually 2-4 in a 10-14 inch pot. They can take a while to bloom. But once they get going, they are great.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

My small potted weeping willow died so decided to sow mg in the pot and use it for support. Worked well for several years as would have mg volunteers the next spring.

• october17
    10 years ago

I usually grow them in large pots and they vine up some 15" antique ladders - grow taller actually. One year, I grew them in a small pot and kept the vines clipped, the flowers were much larger.

Sponsored