Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pitimpinai

Tips: When to cut down dahlia

pitimpinai
14 years ago

Trees around my house are turning colors already.

In the past, people always asked when to cut down their dahlia.

I planted and gave away over 200 dahlia tubers. I plan to dig up mine after frost.

Here's a link to answer that question:

Here is a link that might be useful: When to dig up dahlia tubers.

Comments (8)

• austinnhanasmom
    14 years ago

THANKS!!

Was wondering about this as I am a newbie...

• evonnestoryteller
    14 years ago

I read recently to keep dahlia tubers stored at around 50 degrees. I did not realize I needed a place that cool. Do you store your's in such a cook place?

• drippy
    14 years ago

I had to dig mine up way early this year because of moving - hope they make it

• vera_eastern_wa
    14 years ago

Thanks,

I was wondering about this myself a few days ago. I guess I'll wait until late Oct-early Nov. to dig them up. My 'Bishop's Grandchildren' (Karen's) just now started blooming yesterday on 8-10" plants! The earwigs found them to be quite tasty most of this season, but they didn't care too much for the 'Early Bird' which have done well all year...go figure!?
    We normally have our first frost around Sept. 15th, but hasn't happened yet this year so far. We came close though, dropping down to about 35F! It was 93F here today and lows have been back into the 50's at night since the scare. Looks like by next Tue. though the daytime high goes down to 65F with lows in the 40's.

• ivyp
    14 years ago

I never dig mine up. maybe I should neve thought about it thanks.

• pitimpinai
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ivy, For us folks who live in an area where the ground freezes in winter, we need to dig up dahlia to store indoors.
    You probably have no need to do do. However, maybe your dahlia can benefit for a division now and then to decrease over crowding and increase your stock.

I have to dig up my dahlia every fall and need to divide the clumps so I can store them easily. Each spring I keep only a few of each and give away the rest or trade them for new new ones. You'll get healthier tubers too.

This is an excellent instruction on dividing dahlia:

Here is a link that might be useful: Dahlia division

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    14 years ago

Piti,

Thanks for posting Jroot's info. He is always a great reference on Dahlias and has helped me in the past with lots of questions.

You learn something everyday. I did not know the frost brought on the 'eyes' on the dahlias, although mine have always come out after a good frost.

This past year I placed some in newpapers in boxes in our 5C basement and forgot others right on the cement floor. They stayed there exposed all winter, but in the spring I noticed the eyes starting to pop. In the end I potted over 40 Dahlia tubers to sell at my plant sale. :O) This was the first year I featured them and they went like hotcakes!!

• v1rt
    14 years ago

Thanks Mone! :)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert