Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
v1rt

Salvia guaranitica in zone 4(Baraboo, WI)

v1rt
14 years ago

I posted this in peren last night. This flower is at the back of the hotel we stayed.

I had them id it. They say it's Salvia guaranitica. I did some research and the information I found about it says that it is only hardy to zone 7. The plant that you see below is growing in zone 4. However, I don't know if the hotel grow it as annual or maybe they dig it. I am really in love with this flowering plant. The color blue is totally unique. I would like to grow them. Hopefully, someone here too has seeds of it.

{{gwi:274137}}

{{gwi:222964}}

Comments (15)

• laura_in_cinti
    14 years ago

That's gorgeous. I love the contrast of the lighter green leaves, the blackish stems and blue flowers.

Laura

• v1rt
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Isn't it? That's what I said last night at our Peren forum.

I should have brought my shovel. :( LOL :P

• ollierose
    14 years ago

It's black and blue salvia. It is hardy here in zone 7 and I've heard it can be hardy in zone 6 with extra mulching. It is one of my favorites in my gardens!

• origami_master
    14 years ago

I think the hotel is growing them as an annual. everything around it looks like an annual to me...would be kind weird to have to work around a perennial every year.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yep, they grow it as annual. I confirmed it this morning when I contacted them. I thought I mentioned that here. Looks like I only posted this info at Peren. Apology.

But yeah, I really love it! It's so gorgeous!

• duane456
    14 years ago

They were probably grown in a greenhouse. And then sold as an annual in your zone.. Mine barely survive here in zone 8 of Oregon. I think it gets too wet in the winter for them here. They are very pretty.
    Duane

• stlgirl
    14 years ago

What a neat plant - definitely worth growing even if it is as a annual! Hopefully you come across some seeds.

-StLGirl

• velsgarden
    14 years ago

You really should have carried your shovel!!Blue is my fav color.If you run up on any seeds,let me know

• v1rt
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I remember seeing the seeds inside but the colors where still light brown. I know it wasn't read because the flowers were still fresh. However, I pulled few dried flowers from the other plant on the same bed. There wasn't enough dried flowers. I also love it. :D

Give me a few and I'll upload a pic. Hopefully, someone can id it for me.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    14 years ago

velsgarden,

I was told in peren that they don't come true from seeds. Someone also mentioned that roots looks like rhizomes. Maybe, I misunderstood his/her post.

Anyways, here is the other plant I also like. It's on the same bed. What is this plant?
    {{gwi:431730}}

• terrene
    14 years ago

Do you mean the red plant? That is Salvia splendens, tropical annual from Brazil. I think Yvonne's Salvia is a tall cultivar of Salvia splendens.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    14 years ago

looks like that bed is all annual! I have few seeds of it. Will they ws well? or should I direct sow?

Thanks for the id!

• terrene
    14 years ago

All I know is that Yvonne's Salvia winter-sows great! I assume the shorter bedding plants would be similar. And it is very easy to collect seed. It does self-sow sometimes, so direct-sowing is possible. I had a few volunteers this year.

It likes warm and sunny weather - which we didn't really have this year until the end of July, so my Yvonne's is just getting going now.

There have been numerous threads about Yvonne's Salvia on this forum, so you could do a search.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Great info terrene! Thanks so much! I've exceeded my photobucket bandwidth that's why my pictures aren't showing anymore. They said, I've reached my max 10 gigabyte worth of network traffic. LOL.

I found another server. It's actually a server that my friend and I manages. :P

Has anyone tried to bring them in during winter? Mimick zone 7 temp?

I've got a big 1 inch thick rigid styrofoam. If I make a solid box and put it in the garage, what could be the inside temperature if my garage's temp is at 0F in winter?

Here are the pictures again.

{{gwi:431731}}

{{gwi:431732}}

{{gwi:431733}}

• mnwsgal
    14 years ago

One fall I brought black and blue salvia in for the winter. Won't do it again as had lots of bug problems, mostly white flies and spider mites. The plants I had made very few seeds which were collected and ws. Seedlings were true to parent but flowered very late.

Sponsored