Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenweed_z6a

Turtles & bumblebees - OT

gardenweed_z6a
12 years ago

I'm SO enjoying the turtlehead this time of year when many perennials have finished blooming. I WS the white ones but planted them in too little sun which = powdery mildew. This pink one--a gift from another gardener--I stuck in front of the house where it evidently gets enough sun to thrive without being affected. I caught this bumblebee a couple days ago and enjoyed watching him, hard at work:

{{gwi:246739}}

{{gwi:226989}}

{{gwi:226988}}

{{gwi:196349}}

{{gwi:196348}}

I'm also keeping a close eye on those seedpods & will harvest seeds once they ripen.

Comments (7)

• northforker
    12 years ago

You know Eileen, you should be taking photo's professionally!These are just great - what a happy, busy little fella.

I've looked and looked in my trade seed each year for potenial "shade stars" and finally had success germinating both toad lily and turtle head this year...so now I'm learning from your post turtlehead isn't for shade? Oh no!
    I honestly haven't looked at it since I planted it in the spring, next to a butterfly bush which will shade it soemwhat on one side and a grouping of that red lobelia cardinalis (yes I will be saving you more seeds) on the other. If it's not a good spot and turtleheads need more pure sunshine, maybe I should try to move it? What do you think?

Nancy

• bev2009
    12 years ago

Nan, I grow turtle head in shade and sun and they seem to thrive in both. I would just wait and see if it is a problem, and if it is, move it then. I do know if likes moisture, so I have some in my bog garden, but all the plants in three different locations look the same.

• PVick
    12 years ago

Busy as a bee, isn't he? Great shots.

PV

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

Great Shots!

• gardenweed_z6a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks all!! Nan, Sunny Borders Nursery website shows turtlehead needing full- to half-sun. I planted my WS white plant in bright shade and it's totally covered in PM. The pink, which I got a division of from a gardening friend, is planted in more sun and shows no sign of PM. This is only my second year growing these so that's all I have to go on as to what they like best. I'd go with bev2009's suggestion to wait and see how yours does in its current location. With close to 10" of rain the past week, I'm guessing they're getting all the moisture they need this year, whether they're planted in sun or shade...

• northforker
    12 years ago

You all ae reminding me why I planted it where I planted it - moist soil. I have one bed in my whole yard that has poor drainage (everything else has lots of sand) and this is where I put the turtle heads. It's still raining here but I'm hoping to "float my ark" past that ed soon to see how they are doing.

• Ament
    12 years ago

I love those turtleheads, so cute. I'll have to find myself some of those seeds just so I can plant some for my daughters enjoyment. She loves turtles. Maybe she'll get a kick out of those flowers. :)

~Tina

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz