Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
resalesally

Big Yellow FLoweiing annual

Have a big beautiful bush with yellow daisy like flowers all over it. Anybody know what it is? Sally

Comments (15)

• jaynine
    11 years ago

I think it's Heliopsis (a perennial).

• northerner_on
    11 years ago

I have heliopsis and they don't get that tall (I can see a roof nearby) but perennial sunflower -Helianthus lemon queen - certainly does. Grows over 10 feet in sun and is in bloom now. It gets bigger and bigger each year. I had two clumps and I had to dig one this year. Very hardy perennial.

• docmom_gw
    11 years ago

Whatever it is, it's beautiful. How much sun does it get? There are some perennial woodland sunflowers that bloom like that. I'd love to have some of those along the edge of my backyard woods. I bet the migrating butterflies would love to run across that on their trip to Mexico.

Martha

• msbatt
    11 years ago

I think the thing in the picture is lance-leafed Coreopsis. And I would LOVE to have some seeds from it!

• msbatt
    11 years ago

Nope, I was wrong. But I'd still love to have some seeds!

Whatever this is, it grows all along the roadside around here, but since it tends to grow in the hardest, rockiest soil, I've never been successful in digging any up.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

I think it is some kind of helianthus as well. I love to see these growing along the roadside. Very cheery!

I bought some helianthus microcephalus plants and while I don't think they are *quite* the same as the roadside ones, they are very similar and beautiful, IMO.

Dee

• bakemom_gw
    11 years ago

Perennial Heliopsis would be my guess. Mine get 3-4" and are shrub like.

• edlincoln
    11 years ago

What zone do you live in?

I might like some seeds or rood cuttings from it. I'm looking for things to grow on a gravel cliff.

• birdgardner
    11 years ago

Helianthus angustifolius, narrow-leafed or swamp sunflower, I think.

although it seems to grow on open hillsides too.

• columbusgardener
    11 years ago

they are helianthus - there is also a varigated form as well

• danita
    11 years ago

My first guess would be a wildflower called Bidens aristosa.

• kqcrna
    11 years ago

It looks like helianthus. There are lots of kinds.

Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: helianthus

• october17
    11 years ago

It looks a lot like my brown-eyed susan. Only, without brown eyes. The foliage looks very similar. Especially the dark stem color.

• Debsnature
    11 years ago

This exact plant mysteriously appeared in a low, swampy area of our lawn this summer. The foliage was lovely, with layers of lacy, open compound leaflets so I left it grow. When it exploded in cheery bright yellow daisy-like blooms I was thrilled! I studied multiple sites, and found it was the annual Bidens, also called Beggar ticks or Tickseed Sunflower. Birds often eat the seeds, so I think they deposited the seeds since we're a Backyard Wildlife Habitat. We can look forward to seeing more next year since they seed easily!

• Sally "Cricket" Benfer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I believe it is Native Sunflower that I got from seeds via Newbie Pack. I have some winter sown this year and the leaves are identical. It has self seeded and I hope I am not upset at this trait. Thank you everyone :)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert