Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fountain grass

Posted by bakemom z6 Central Ohio (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 9, 11 at 10:47

Mine are loaded with seeds right now that are nice and plump. Any experience with this plant WS? Do you sow in clumps?

How does your fountain grass grow?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fountain grass

I wait until late in the fall and harvest the ripe seeds. They're slow growing but they will grow via WS. The ones I WS last year grew to about 7" tall this year. I have them in gallon pots that I overwinter in my garage. I harvested seeds from the dwarf form, Pennisetum alopecuroides 'Hameln' in the fall of 2009 & WS them last year. According to my 2010 WS Sprout Chart, I sowed them 2/27, first sprout 4/6, estimated germination rate 65%. The divisions I took from my main plant and set at either end of my granite garden bench are still on the small side but they're covered with plumes.

o

for some reason I'd never thought to collect fountain grass seed. But now I'm thinking I will. Good to know I will have to be patient with their germination, though.

o

Bakemom- I haven't been on here in awhile and was glad to see you still on WSing forum.You might not remember me but I figured I'd say hi.I dedicated this last season to peppers and giant pumpkins but I really like the WSing stuff so I'm back.
Gene

o

I believe Fountain Grass is an annual in my zone. Gardenweed, I am also at the zone 5/6 border. Do you overwinter in the garage year after year or finally plant outdoors and let the annual die out and start over?

o

bookjunky - The purple fountain grass is an annual or at least it isn't hardy below Z7 if I'm not mistaken. The perennial dwarf fountain grass I grow Pennisetum alopecuroides 'Hameln' is hardy to Z4. It retains its shape right through the winter and the birds feed on the seeds. I cut it down to 6-8" in spring but other than that, it's completely care-free. It even survived the 8 ft. of snow we got last winter.

It stays a nice mounded shape at 28" inches tall by that much wide. I've had mine for 6 years and last year some friends came to help me divide it. It has a massive root system that took three of us to cut through. We divided it into about 8 clumps and I replanted one division where the original was growing. It snapped back in no time. The divisions planted at either end of my garden bench are from the original plant.

o

That's good to know. I love ornamental grass and am always looking for a new perennial variety to WS.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here