Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pvick_gw

Yvonne this year ...

PVick
12 years ago

I'm quite pleased with the progress on these plants, especially since they were planted out so late - mid-August at about 5" tall. In a little more than 2 weeks, they've grown almost 10"! Not as tall as previous years, and they may not get that big in the time left, but there are flowers stalks coming up all over!

{{gwi:432182}}

PV

Comments (9)

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Beautiful! I'm glad you've got those gorgeous red blooms to enjoy. Mine grew to 6-7" and stopped. Even the ones I planted in full sun back in May-June haven't grown any taller or produced a single bloom. I won't waste time or energy on them next year.

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

Pvick, they are Pretty!

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

PV - are those Shasta Crazy Daisies to the right of the salvia? I ordered the seeds from Hazzards & summer sowed them. They've sprouted but I'm wondering if they'll grow big enough between now & frost to survive the winter.

• PVick
    Original Author
    12 years ago

gardenweed, that's a mum - 'Daisy White'. got it from Bluestone's a couple years ago - supposed to bloom in the fall. the thing blooms from late spring on, i can pinch till my fingers fall off. guess i should be grateful ...

PV

• northerner_on
    12 years ago

I haven't had success with YS this year. As a matter of fact, I was looking at them today and wondering what happened. They are only about 2 feet tall, and just starting to put out blooms. In our zone, that won't be enough time to set seed so I'll be on the lookout for seed again, after having enough to share the last few years. My purple rain was great, and my Texas Red are doing better then in former years in their new location - part shade. We had such a dry summer and I have been paying more attention to my veggies. which have been very good. Guess you can't have it all!!

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    12 years ago

Pvick,

How did you make out with the kmotgg this year? It should be in it's prime for blooms now.

Lisa

• kqcrna
    12 years ago

My Yvonne's salvia didn't do much this year, either. Usually they're about 4' tall (same as my chain link fence), but this year they're only about 3'.
    {{gwi:432183}}

Both Yvonne and Emily used high-test ferts to get those 6 footers. Since I try to keep my garden pretty organic, I don't use those strong chemicals. Major difference in the growth.

Karen

• not_a_contessa
    12 years ago

PV, of course you already know that I thought about you often this past week-end.

How nice to have some salvia blooming now, I'm sure it adds a cheerful touch to your gorgeous balcony!

Mary

• PVick
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi, Mary! 10 years have passed already - that year was my first year to WS! You know, since I moved everything in and out when Irene was hanging around, the terrace really looks nice! And my 4'oclocks are blooming! All red this year, so far - nice with the salvia.

Lisa! You will not believe - my plants were doing very well until I started noticing that the tips kept breaking. I'd go out and find them bent almost daily. The stems looked bruised. I could never figure out what was going on, since I didn't see any birds sitting on them or anything. I gave up this past week, since they were practically down to the soil level. SO they've gone to KMOTGG heaven. There is some force in the plant world that is determined to keep me from having this plant.

On a good note - I did give some away and they are doing quite well for their owners, getting ready to bloom. Except one guy. Somthing ate/carted away his plants by the morning after he planted them.

PV

Sponsored