Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Collecting Celosia Seeds

Posted by lblack61 z5 NY (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 27, 07 at 11:01

How ripe is ripe with them?
I have some flower-heads that are drying up and I see little white things (that must be the seeds). But I'm not sure if I should wait until the entire head is dried up or not.
Any advice?

Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Collecting Celosia Seeds

The seeds ripen at different times. The lower ones will ripen first. You should see a little black seed within the dried florettes. I leave the plant in the ground and shake or rub the seeds onto a paper plate as they ripen.

o

Thank you for the info, Karyn :-)

Linda

o

I rub the dried flowers between my hands and let the chaff and seed (black seeds) fall into a bowl. If you blow into the bowl the light chaff and seed will separate. This should be done outside because it is quite messy. Most of the chaff ends up on you.

PC

o

Hi Linda,
If you want the Celosia in the same place you can relax. They reseed so prolifically that I pull out about 3,000 "extra reseeds" each spring. If you want to gather seeds I do it like this...I take a paper lunch bag over the bloom and while I hold it tightly at the base of the bloom I lean it to the side while I shake it and tap it. You will hear the ripe seeds fall inside. The seeds are black and look like shiny poppy seeds.
Next year I am going to only grow them at the very back by the fence because they get so tall that they hide everything else. Good luck with yours.
Tina

o

I have found that the seeds on my celosia are very hard to collect. One thing I did try that worked well was spreading a sheet on the ground under the plants and gathering the seeds(looks like seed ticks lol)each evening.

o

I just love it but it smells like skunk!!! Plant in the back of a border where you can enjoy looking at it and not smell it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here