Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pvick_gw

Sorta OT - Soil question

PVick
12 years ago

Below is a pic of the top layer of soil in my half-full bag of MG:

{{gwi:433025}}

What is that stuff? Mold? Should I clear out the top layer and use the rest, or should I just dump the bag? :>(

Funny, there's a half bag of Promix sitting right next to the MG, and it is fine.

TIA -

PV

Comments (6)

• kqcrna
    12 years ago

Yikes, PV! It looks like you're cultivating your very own toxic waste dump! It might work out OK, but I would only use it, at best, on something I consider expendable. I'd probably recycle that into the compost bin.

My guess is mold but I don't know.

Karen

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

If I were you, I'd paste that picture in an email and send it to the MG Help Desk. They must have a troubleshooting website where one of their knowledgeable folks could answer your question.

There's a FAQ & Help tab at this link to Scott's. If you click on the link, there's a Help Center where you can send an email.

Here is a link that might be useful: Scott's MG Help Desk

• pitimpinai
    12 years ago

I think it's mold. Would I compost it? Yes, in my garden.
    But for your apartment? I am not sure.
    Out on the balcony you probably have enough ventilation. But don't bring it indoors.

• PVick
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I wanted to use the soil to repot some things out on the balcony. They'd stay out there.

OK - so I think I'll remove the top layer and see what's what before tossing - or using - what is left.

This has happened before with a bag of MG - freaked me out when I opened the bag. That time, there was so little soil left, I just tossed it. But there is a lot of soil left in the current bag.

Here's hoping I'm not being penny-wise and pound-foolish.

PV

• littleonefb
    12 years ago

PV,

Do send a pic to the MG help desk as well. The one time I had a problem with the MG soil and send the info and pic to them, I was pleasantly surprised to not only have my money refunded, but they also sent me coupons for 2 free bags of potting mix any size and 4 additional coupons for $4 off any size bag.

was much appreciated for a problem with 1 out of 10 bags and never had a problem again.

Fran

• terrene
    12 years ago

I wouldn't waste it, I would scrape off the top, dump the moldy stuff, and use the rest. You could sterilize it in the the oven if you are worried or have some sensitive plants you'd like to pot.

I would guess that the MG potting mix doesn't have as strict quality standards for ingredients as the Promix. The mold spores probably came in on something they added. Mold is just nature's way of getting rid of organic refuse, and she does a very good job of it!

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner