Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Malva sylvestris - interplant w Verbena bonariensis?

Posted by mary_littlerockar 7b Central Arkansas (mleek@sbcglobal.net) on
Fri, Sep 16, 11 at 14:04

I want to try winter sowing Malva sylvestris this year. I live in central Arkansas, zone 7b.

I mainly grow plants for the butterflies and hummingbirds and would like to try Malva in front of the Verbena bonariensis to try and help hide the bottom of the verbena (very weedy looking but one of the very best nectar plants). I'm also hoping the Malva will help support the thin verbena flower stalks. I am assuming the flower stalks of the Malva are sturdy. For those of you who might be familiar with both of these plants, would you comment on whether these two plants might work well together?

My thanks,

Mary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Malva sylvestris - interplant w Verbena bonariensis?

Hmmm, had to think about that combo. I have both in abundance but unfortunately not near each other, so I can't give any feedback on how they would look together. First reaction - - too much purple and purple but maybe that's just me, tend to like to mix things up. I read about things like white gardens and say "why would anyone do that - all one color" so you can't go by me. You are right that the malva has a sturdy upright habit, though I haven;t found the Verb. bon to need much support either.

The thing is..where ever you have the VErb. bon this year, you just might have it in a different place next year! It tends to self seed a bit all over.

I am going to go out and pick a few stems of VB from the back and put them bunched with MS from the front and give you a "research based" opinion!!!!

Nancy

o

• Posted by bakemom z6 Central Ohio (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 16, 11 at 19:14

I'm thinking you have two tall leggy purple plants together. What about something like profusion zinnias or melampodium?

o

LOL ... well, it was an idea. :-) For some reason, zinnia's haven't done well for me. They get leggy and something enjoys munching on the leaves. I can't use anything for all the destructive bugs we have in our hot, humid climate because of the butterflies and hummingbirds, so will go research your other plant suggestion. My sincere thanks for your quick experiment and first hand judgement.

Back to the drawing board!

~Mary

o

I'll tell you what I LOVE with my Malva - Rudbeckia goldstrum. These two are the backbone of my front walkway bed and look great together.

o

Yellow and purple, what's not to love. :-) Excellent suggestion and I know the Rudbeckia does well here as I have a small planting. I'll try the Malva with it.

You know, come to think of it, I have some potted butterfly weed that is looking for a spot. Maybe that would work well in front of the Verbena bonariensis. Butterfly Weed is a full plant with strong branches so would certainly help hide the base of the verbena.

~Mary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here