Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Order from T's arrived any sowed Viburnum?

Posted by ladyrose65 6bNJ (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 13, 13 at 14:31

I got my order from T's Flowers and Things today, really excited about the Viburnum. Has anyone had any success with this shrub? Do I sow now or wait until its cold? I know some plants need a long stratification period.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Order from T's arrived any sowed Viburnum?

According to my book, Native Plants of the Northeast, by Donald Leopold, most native viburnums need a period of warm stratification followed by a period of cold stratification. I don't know about any non-native viburnums. I am a complete newbie at winter sewing, so I can't tell you a thing from personal experience, just what it says in the book. HTH,

Liz

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 13, 13 at 18:32

Ladyrose, not all viburnum have the same requirements and several need (somewhat extended) warm moist period before a chill...which did you order?

Here is a link that might be useful: Clothiers, viburnum

o

Viburnum carlesii (Snowball Bush).

o

Sat, Sep 14, 13 at 1:45

Well, wouldn't you know, that one isn't included on the Clothiers database.

Ontario Rock Garden and Hardy Plants database and they are reliable too. They suggest:

Expose to fluctuating outdoor winter temperatures including some freezing for 3 months. Gradually increase light (which you will do by barely covering or surface sowing in your jugs) and temperature in spring. No mention of sowing in Fall while temps are still warm.

Also, did you receive cleaned seeds or is the pulp dried on them?

Pulpy coat inhibits germination (this is true of most fruits and berries). Remove by soaking and rinsing in clean water daily for 7 days. Discard water. (if you have pulp I wouldn't leave it on even for winter sowing)

I've just now shampooed enough days to get the stains off from cleaning orange oily magnolia wilsonii seeds - I peeled it off in strips like a banana using fingernails

o

Sat, Sep 14, 13 at 1:55

And this is why I don't write for a living :)

If you do have seeds with dried pulp on them, wait until you are going to sow to clean them, you don't want to soak that long to clean, take a chance they might begin to absorb some water only to dry out again before sowing.

Unlike your viburnum, I'm sowing the magnolia now making that not a good comparison, no matter how happy I am to have clean hands again:).

o

Thank You Morz. I put them in the freezer. I'll pull the pulp prior to sowing. Thank You.

o

Morz, or if anyone is still trolling this post, do you know what I can expect when I peel back the pulp? If you have an image, I don't want to damage the seedling.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here