Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
girlgroupgirl

Trudi: Tomato disinfectant on your WS.org page?

girlgroupgirl
15 years ago

Hey Trudi,

A bunch of us over at Freedomgardens.org are interested in finding out what kind of disinfectant is used for the alternate (to fermentation) tomato seed saving method on your WS.org page?

Thanks,

GGG

Comments (21)

• trudi_d
    15 years ago

I use a product like Ajax or Comet--a store brand would work fine too as long as it says "disinfectant" or contains bleach, etc, on the label.

I'll paste in the link for the pdf--it prints out as either a two-sided brochure, or you can tape the two pages side to side for a poster.

I hope you'll like this method--it works fine and fast.

Trudi

PS--a note download caution--the pdf has photos showing the steps and it takes a few minutes to download on dialup. I apologize for the delay.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Save Your Own Tomato Seeds (pdf)

• agirlsgirl
    15 years ago

I just printed it out! It is well put together. Thanks Trudi!

• trudi_d
    15 years ago

I hope you like this as much as I do--I think it's easy.

• girlgroupgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Trudi,

GGG

• burwoodbelle
    15 years ago

Trudi' I just printed it and it looks simple.
    Thanks PAT L.

P.S can you get seeds to grow from hybrid tom.

• trudi_d
    15 years ago

Yes, seeds from hybrid tomatoes will grow, but even better--the vast, VAST majority of them are stable and will produce fruit identical to the parent plant!

Trudi

• rosepedal
    15 years ago

Thanks Trudi. Great information.....

• etravia
    15 years ago

Trudi, What is the bulb from a turkey baster for?
    Maggie

• trudi_d
    15 years ago

Well, you use it to scrub the seeds againt the sieve--it fits well and does a good job.

T

• etravia
    15 years ago

Ooohhhh...Improvising, the mother of invention!
    Thanks!
    Maggie

• trudi_d
    15 years ago

I will be sending out a printed version of the pdf with all Tomato SASEs. I just moved the list to WinterSown.Org

Here is a link that might be useful: Trudi's Tomato SASE list.

• mo_girl
    15 years ago

Very interesting, thanks. I will give this a try, as it will save me some time. I would have thought Comet might kill the seed, but I imagine if Trudi does it, it works. Probably the fact it's just for 30 minutes means it just works on the gel and not the seed. Neat idea.

• trudi_d
    15 years ago

I've done germination tests, the seeds sprout great when cleaned this way.

I've done tests on seeds that have soaked an hour and from ten seeds I've gotten 90% germination.

Growing heirloom tomatoes is a very popular hobby, so is trading their seeds--I think it goes hand in hand with most avid tomatophiles. These seeds are getting traded globally. Most novice tomato growers are unaware there could be pathogens on seed exteriors transferred from their garden to someone else's garden; I think that once we are aware of that we have a responsibility to make the effort towards limiting pathogen transferrence from our plants and soils to anywhere else. IMHO, doing a sani-soak and scrub of homesaved tomato seeds is going to be helpful in that regard.

• agirlsgirl
    15 years ago

I used the method on 7 types of tomatoes so far.Since this is my first experience with cleaning tomato seeds, I don't know any other way,but this was very simple and in it's own way kinda fun! I really like the idea of disinfecting them,too! :)

Again Trudi,thanks for sharing such great information with us!:)

~Angie...who is off to clean another 4 varieties! :)

• dawiff
    15 years ago

Trudi, If I already started fermentation the usual way, can I take what I have and still disinfect the seeds with a bleach-based cleanser? One type of seed has been fermenting for a few days, the rest for only a day.

• trudi_d
    15 years ago

Sure, give it a try. This will just take over and finish the job of removing the glop on the outside of the seeds.

• mo_girl
    15 years ago

I've tried this method with three varieties over the last couple days, and I really like it! It's easy, fast, and I feel like I'm really killing those pathogens.

• kqcrna
    15 years ago

Any seeds I've tried growing in the house have croaked from dampoff. 'Nuff said there. Wintersowing saved me from that frustration.

I'm really a flower grower, not into veggies except a few tomato plants. Fermenting seeds just didn't seem right to me when I tried that. Last year I saved a (very) few from my favorite tomato using Trudi's method above with cleanser. Didn't have a lot of confidence in my efforts, and didn't want to risk not having my favorite Snow White tomato this year, so decided to do a germination test inside.

I only sowed 2 or 3 seeds in each cell of a 4 cell pack. I think every one germinated. This method worked well. I will wintersow them in April.

Karen

• trudi_d
    15 years ago

Excellent. Congratulations on your success Karen. Bravo!

• kqcrna
    15 years ago

Thanks, Trudi. It wasn't so much that I doubted the method. It was more I doubt my own ability/knowledge/skill with veggies. But I was shocked when about every one sprouted. I bumped up this thread so that other who used this method will know that it does work well, even for me.

Of course, I'll kill 'em with dampoff for sure. But now I know that my seeds are good (in fact, great) so I don't have to buy that kind. I'll be wintersowing them soon, I have a lot more faith in their survival that way.

These are Snow White #6822, absolutely my favorite tomato. With a leaf of basil or nasturtium, great snacking in the garden :-)

Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: tomatogrowers

• trudi_d
    15 years ago

Aren't they pretty! I think I tried these at MAGTAG a couple of years back, they're very yum. Most people who are new to heirlooms are a little appalled by the color (or lack of it) that pale yellow maters have--they all think there's something wrong with them but after a little (no, a lot of) convincing they will try a bite and that's all it takes to turn someone into a fan.

I love TGS. They have great service and a wonderful catalogue. I use them constantly for reference.

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH