Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hopi Crape Myrtle

Posted by phyleux Z6 WPA (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 1, 11 at 14:55

Hello all...haven't posted on here for a good long while so I thought I'd share some pics. I bought this Hopi Crape Myrtle back in Summer '05 and just wanted to show you all how well it's doing here in zone 6. Doing so well that next year I plan on buying a Tonto to keep it company.

Summer 2005

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By phyleux at 2011-09-01

Summer 2011

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By phyleux at 2011-09-01

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hopi Crape Myrtle

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 1, 11 at 23:51

Very pretty - I'd send you my Zuni if it were shippable :)
A lovely small tree with bronzy leaves and interesting bark, but has never bloomed in more than 15 years, not enough summer heat or cloudless days. I've got it in my hottest possible location - I've quit looking for flowers and just enjoy it for what it is.

Yours is great though, nice spot of color.

o

• Posted by pvick z6B NYC (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 2, 11 at 10:07

Hey, phyleux, nice to "see" you again. Your tree is beautiful! Do you still winter sow?

How's CC doing these days?

PV

o

Hey PV,

Thanks! Yea I still WS though my garden has gotten away from me the past few years..who knew purple coneflowers would take over! Bound and determined to get it in under control again...lol. CC is doing great. A little older but no worse for the wear.

o

Lovely! Crepe myrtles provide color at such a blah time of the year.

o

My husband bought me a dwarf one last year. I forget the name but the tag said only perennial to zone 7. It survived it's first winter and is beautiful now.

Photobucket

Karen

o

Hi! Finally got around to looking at the pictures. That Hopi is beautiful. As I said, I don't know what mine is because it is so small and the flowers were too but now I want a Hopi!!! Hope it lasts thru the winter here in Zone 6.

Thanks.

o

Love the photos! I just got one and like others, pray it works here in SW PA, zone 6. Yours is gorgeous! RIght now it's newly arrived and looks like the ugliest thing (no pruning, blah blah) but it looks like a beauty. Thanks for sharing!

Amy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here