Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any Colorado W Sowers?

Posted by smdmt z4MT (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 1, 13 at 14:58

Hi! Just moved to Colorado and wondering if there are any folks who have been successful at winter sowing. I live close to Boulder. I have winter sowed in other places, but this could be a challenge.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any Colorado W Sowers?

I wintersow in Elizabeth, CO--never tried it before moving here. I've used milk jugs along the outside of a raised, covered deck. I have noticed mine sprout much later than most on this forum but have been pretty successful with most things.

o

Hi! I live in Westminster and WS for the first time last winter. All but two of my jugs sprouted and my garden did very well this year. I start in December and continue all the way to February. I will be WS again this winter since I was able to grow a wide variety of vegetables this summer. Don't worry, the snow won't hurt the seeds. You should definitely give it a try.

o

Hello, neighbors. I'm in Co Springs--more than a mile high. This will be my first time wintersowing. Any tips would be appreciated.

o

I'm in COS as well and have been propagating with lights for a while. I would love to try WS this year and would take any advice offered. I need to get most of my "operation" outdoors as it seems to get bigger and bigger each year. Are there particulars about WS in CO that I need to know?

o

I live in the Denver metro area. Have WS for 3 years. About half of the things I have sown survived to become full size plants.

Even so, the Colorado climate can be challenging so before you choose your WS seeds, you might do some research on what varieties of plants grow well here. Colorado State University does trials of annual and perennial flowers. These results are listed online on their horticultural website.

A good resource for local plants and information can be found at Harlequin's Gardens in Boulder. If I remember correctly, they have info on their website about vegetable varieties that do well there.

Welcome to Colorado and have fun with the wintersowing!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here