Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Winter sowing vegetables zone 5 PA??

Posted by rebeccasgarden2008 5 Northeast PA (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 12, 08 at 18:48

Hello, I am so very excited to learn about this form of gardening. It is all new to me so bear with me if my questions seem funny. I have very little space to start seeds indoors, barely any because of poor light but this way of gardening seems great. Starting seeds myself would save so much money and better than that I can get whatever I want and start it myself instead of buying transplants. I am just very curious how much of it can be started as far as vegetables with success?? I am in PA zone 5 and was wanting to hear what would work and what wouldn't. Thanks for any info.

Rebecca

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Winter sowing vegetables zone 5 PA??

Rebecca, welcome to the Wintersowing forum! I'm in zone 5 too, and wintersowing has allowed me to grow much more from seed than I could before, since I simply don't have the space indoors.

Here are the vegetables that I have wintersown:

Lettuce
Spinach
Swiss Chard
Broccoli
Peas
Tomatoes

Cucumbers and canteloupes I did using the wintersowing method, but in late May

Herbs - basil (late April), dill, lavender, marjoram, oregano, parsley, perilla, rosemary, sage, spearmint

Really about the only things that I don't wintersow for the garden, are carrots, since they don't always transplant well, and peppers, because our growing season is just too short to do them that way.

I've included a link to Wintersown.org's list of vegetables for wintersowing, which may help as well.

Start saving those containers, and buy plenty of potting mix before winter gets here!

Bonnie

Here is a link that might be useful: Wintersown.org - Vegetables for wintersowing

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here