Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vja4him

What are You Planting for Fall-Winter (Central California)

vja4him
11 years ago

What seeds are you planting for the Fall and Winter in the area of Central California?

Depending on which map I use, I'm in Zone #9a, 9, 8, or 14. I grow a garden all year long, and would like to know what kinds of seeds other gardeners are planting in my area (Ceres, California, half-way between Modesto and Turlock.

I know most of the vegetables I can grow, but would like to find more Flowers and Herbs I could grow, or at least try to grow .... I'm also interested in growing Wild Edibles, like Dandelion. I'm about to order some Dandelion seeds, along with a few other seeds (Carnation, Mustard, Stinging Nettle).

I still have some warm-weather plants growing: Peppers, Tomatoes, and Eggplants. Lots of Flowers still growing: Four-O'Clocks, Morning Glory, Calendulas, Verbena, African Daisies, Shasta Daisies, Cosmos, Carnations, Geraniums, Nasturtiums, Ice Plant, Roses, Hollyhocks, and one Unknown Flower ....

Some Greens have come up as volunteers: Red Giant Mustard, Southern Curled Mustard, Chinese Cabbage, Swiss Chard, along with volunteer Radishes.

Herbs still growing: Sage, Lemon Grass, Mint, Stinging Nettle, Thyme, tons of Basil (about 15 different kinds), Rosemary, Onions, and maybe some Chives (?).

Some other vegetables growing now: Radishes, Kohlrabi, Kale, and Carrots.

Still have between four and six weeks of weather above freezing. I planted a bunch of seeds (three different plots) four days ago. Most of those seeds are up already!!!

Even when it freezes, the temperature only stays below freezing for between two and four hours, around 3:00 a.m. until about 6:00 or 7:00 a.m., a few days until 8:00 a.m.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?