Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Foxglove and delphiniums?

Posted by bellarosa z4-5/IL (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 12, 13 at 1:13

can you wintersow these and if so, any recommendations on varieties? thanks for any suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Foxglove and delphiniums?

Foxgloves and delphiniums are easily winter sowed. Any varieties should work.

o

I wintersow about six different foxgloves with great success. They are among the easiest, although I find it helps to pick out seedlings and grow them on in four inch pots before I plant them out in the garden.

o

Kimka, when do you wintersow your foxglove. I tried last year and had no luck. I would like to give it another try - I just love them. I WS in Feb and think that was too early? Not sure. I'm in zone 5. Any advice? Also, is it best to sow them in a milk jug?

o

bella---you might want to check this site---- under digitalis----
http://tomclothier.hort.net/page03.html

o

What a great resource! Thanks!

o

Hi Bellarose, I also have found Foxgloves to be very easy to WS. The seeds are tiny, so I surface sow and press into the soil, and then moisten with a gentle spray.

They usually sprout in thick little carpets. I do the same as Kimka, and transplant some into flats and let them grow on before transplanting out to the garden. Then by the fall they are hopefully nice bushy clumps of foliage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here