Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
docmom_mn_zone_5

Does Tithonia saved seed come true?

docmom_gw
12 years ago

I've grown Tithonia for two years and I love it for late season color and nectar. I had a Monarch on it last night, so I checked for dry seed heads. I now have a healthy handful of seeds that I'll sow in the spring for fun. But, if I knew ahead of time that they may not come back the same, I'd buy some seeds so I'm guaranteed to have some like the originals. It's really too bad that they take so long to get going. There are about 20 new buds coming on two plants, but I expect a frost any day. I checked the Data Base, but no info there, yet. Maybe I'll fill in that gap next year.

Martha

Comments (11)

• kqcrna
    12 years ago

Yes, Martha, mine were true.

Karen

• docmom_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Karen. At least there's one seed I don't have an excuse to buy!

Martha

• northforker
    12 years ago

Mine have come true from seed as well, both the tall ones and the slightly shorter ones. I didn't even plant the taller ones this year because they have self seeded so nicely in the past and wouldn't you know, this year they didn't. I didn't notice them "missing" until it was too late to start seeds. But I did start the 4' ones and they are, as you say, just coming into their own now with frost chasing their heels. Lots of flowers, lots of seed to collect eventually. I am going to start these extra early next year in an unheated pop-up greenhouse I use to start petunias, zinnias, snaps, other annuals that like a warm start. I realy do love them - -that bright orange looks wonderful this time of year with everything else fading.

• terrene
    12 years ago

A couple of years I grew only Tithonia 'Aztec Sun' which is a golden yellow color, collected the seed and it does come true. I'm not sure if it would come true if it were cross-pollinated with the orange.

As for the orange seed, yes that will produce orange flowers.

• sassybutterfly_2008
    12 years ago

This is good to know! Which variety is the shorter version? I'm going to have to keep a look-out for that one.

Thanks!
    ~Wendy / sassyb.

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

sassyb - Swallowtail Garden Seeds' website shows Tithonia 'Torch' grows 4-6 ft. tall while 'Fiesta del Sol' grows to just 2.5 ft. They only sell those two varieties. Hazzard's sells those two plus 'Goldfinger' and 'Yellow Torch.' You may also see it labeled Mexican Sunflower.

• docmom_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have the taller, orange "Tithonia Torch" growing, and I think I still have seeds of the Fiesta del Sol that I purchased last year. I like the fact that the foliage is still green this time of year. Everything else is going dormant. I also like that the Torch plants are so sturdy and well-branched. I'm thinking I might try to have some Grampa Ott's Morning Glories climb up them next year. Thanks to all for the feedback.

Martha

• docmom_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

LOL. I just "organized" my seed stash and found that I have two large handfuls of Torch collected and saved, and I also bought a pack of both Torch and Aztec Sun online. I guess I'll be sharing those with some one.

Martha

• little_minnie
    12 years ago

Oh tithonia and Grandpa Ott would be so charming! I want to do that. I am in love with Tithonia after a rocky start this summer when I didn't realize how late it is. Then we have had a long fall and it is so pretty and soft! PLus an excellent cut flower for market.

BTW this is my first post on this particular board here.

• docmom_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Little Minnie,
    Welcome to the Wintersowing forum. This is the friendliest group of people alive . Please come back often and post/reply to as many threads as you can. This tends to be one of the busier/funner forums during the winter, since we're all prepping containers and competing in the "Zone Wars". What zone are you, by the way? We always love to enable new addicts in our wonderful gardening process.

Martha

• northforker
    12 years ago

My Fiesta del Sol is a star this time of year in the garden. Form is strong and flowers are bright orange. But it is way over 2.5 ft. Maybe 3.5 -4'? Not as tall as torch but not a petite plant either! I only hope it gets a few more weeks of bloom until a frost. We are having some coldish nights (50's). My Yvonnes Salvia is also going strong. Just wish the two plants were near each other - what a blast of color that would be - red and orange. Maybe I will plan for that next year.