Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terrene_gw

Are you collecting any Seed this year??

terrene
12 years ago

Have you collected any seed this fall? Just trying to start some conversation. :)

I've collected a bunch of seeds this year so far (can't really help myself) and am already getting exciting about winter-sowing.

Yvonne's Salvia - LOTS this year, it didn't do well or set seed the past 2 years

Salvia 'lady in red' and 'Coral nymph'

Bronze fennel

Digitalis purpurea

Asclepias tuberosa (yellow flowers - not sure if it seeds true)

Tithonia

Melampodium

Allium cernuum

Cosmos 'Pink Blush'

California poppies, both 'Linen white' and 'Purple gleam'

Cornus florida (flowering dogwood)

Baby bell peppers

Comments (11)

• docmom_gw
    12 years ago

Terrene,
    Are you planning to trade? I've been wishing I had some Melampodium in my world. I sent most of my old seed (last year's) to Bakemom for the newbie seed project. But I'm still collecting this year's. I'll check back here after I get a list of what I have drying/dried so far. I also went a little crazy buying online, recently. I was in an emotionally fragile moment, and seed shopping is very soothing, right? It sound like a good excuse, anyway.

Martha

• terrene
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Docmom, I occasionally do trades, but mostly do SASBEs (in both directions). In the winter, I do a SASBE offer on the seed exchange, and also at other times too. I love Melampodium and collected plenty of seed this year, as well as some of the other seeds on that list.

I buy most of seeds, just a little indulgence. I've had pretty good results this year starting interesting cultivars from seeds purchased at Swallowtail.

Here's a couple of the melampodium this year - sown in cups in the spring. The zinnias were direct-sown.
    {{gwi:437467}}

• terrene
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Send me an email if you want some, no problem!

• Margie Crawford
    12 years ago

I've also collected lots of salvias, digitalis, columbine, geum, echinacea Ruby Star, etc. Will have plenty of seeds for the WS swap that Wendy is going to post. However, I'm very impatiently waiting for the following seeds to be ready:

Amaranthus 'Intense Purple'
    Snapdragon 'Black Prince'
    Lobelia siphilicata (purple & white)
    Double gloriosa daisy
    Purple basil

Margie

• docmom_gw
    12 years ago

Thanks, so much. I will, if I get around to it. I'm getting remarried in November, and we just became aware of a house we might want to buy--so we're busy and I'm not sure what I'll be doing about gardening in the next 12 months. I also generally do natives--but my 11 year-old son asked me today "Mom, could we plant some PRETTY flowers?" I couldn't decide if I should laugh or cry, LOL. He'd love the melampodium.

Martha

• vajeff
    12 years ago

I've been slowly collecting seeds. Most of my plants didn't feel like producing seed this year, and I didn't keep track of plant names last year. What a shame... However, I did manage to collect from other sources:

Heuchera
    Canna
    Melampodium "Derby"
    Lemon Basil "Mrs. Burns"
    Purple Basil
    Celosia plumosa
    Petunia
    Clematis
    Zinnia
    Hibiscus
    Begonia
    Cypress vine (hummingbird vine?)
    African daisies
    Gladiolus
    Portulaca
    Gerbera daisy
    Columbine

Waiting to collect hosta, oriental lilies, another variety of celosia (red blooms & red-purple foliage), moon flower, romaine, another variety of hibiscus, butterfly bush "black knight", datura, impatiens (having the hardest time with these), amaranthus "love-lies-bleeding", sedum, and possibly another variety or two of canna.

• terrene
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow Vajeff, lotsa seeds!

Docmom, any time you want some seeds just email. I grow lots of natives too. Melampodium divaricatum happens to be a North American native - just native to Florida, haha. It can't tolerate frost.

That's cool your son wants some pretty flowers, they're wonderful. Butterflies hummers and bees really like the tropical annuals, and so do I! They are the most colorful prettiest things in the gardens now, cuz we haven't had a frost yet. First hard frost and they'll be gone though...

• vajeff
    12 years ago

I enjoy melampodium. It's so easy and forms a neat little bush, and they attract hordes of ground bees (well, those ity-bity ones). Does your melampodium self seed? Mine goes crazy. Sometimes it seems like I'm pulling more of those out than weeds. Same thing with celosia, snapdragon, and impatiens. Now if only the new guinea impatiens would do that... I've got a feeling that I'm going to regret having planted amaranthus this year.

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

I don't think I'm harvesting the quantities I did last year but am definitely gathering lots of varieties. So far these are set in paper bowls on shelves in my garage to dry:

Adenophora/ladybells
    White turtlehead
    Persicaria virginiana/Painters Palette
    Stokes aster
    Heuchera/coral bells
    White flowering dogwood
    Joe-Pye weed
    Lychnis coronaria/rose campion
    Lobelia cardinalis/cardinal flower
    Lobelia siphillitica/great blue lobelia
    Penstemon 'Mystica'
    Dianthus/sweet William & carnations
    Columbine
    Gaura
    Tall phlox
    Candytuft
    Spirea
    Verbascum 'Milkshake'
    Echinacea
    Baptisia australis/false indigo
    Rudbeckia
    Lupine
    Gaillardia
    Balloon flower
    Blackberry lily
    Cupid's dart
    Siberian iris
    Globeflower

I'm keeping an eye on the pink turtlehead & St. John's wort--seedpods are still green on both.

• christie_sw_mo
    12 years ago

I need to get out and do some more collecting so I'll have some seeds to trade with. I've been lazy.

Terrene - I have one on your wishlist. I collected some seeds this year from asclepias viridiflora. It normally doesn't get a chance to make seeds since it's in our hayfield but our second cutting was much later than normal this year. It's not a showy plant but very tough. I'll email you.

• rbrady
    12 years ago

I haven't collected nearly the seeds I have in previous years. One reason is I took out quite a few perennials that had a growth habit I didn't particularly like. Some that I have collected so far:

Digitalis purpurea, grandiflora, and lutea
    Solomon's Seal
    False Solomon"s Seal
    Cimifuga racemosa
    Clematis viorna
    Aquilegia
    Lamb's Ear
    Heuchera
    Thermopsis carolinia
    Lady Bells
    Showy Beardtongue
    Geum
    Daylilies
    Ratibida columnifera
    Ratibida pinnata
    Asclepias exaltata
    Veronicastrum virginicum
    Thalictrum
    Aruncus dioicus

I am waiting for:
    Toad lilies
    Clematis stans
    Anemones
    Hostas
    Lobelias
    Turtleheads
    Mimulus
    Anemones
    Actaea pachypoda

I am hoping the first freeze holds off until the rest of my seeds ripen.

Rhonda