Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
? on Yvonne's Salvia

Posted by ellenrr 7a (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 31, 13 at 9:24

I got about 10 seeds from someone, 2 germinated. I planted them among zinnias, thinking that both would grow at the same rate. wrong. The zinnias outstripped the salvia, result that the salvia remained in shade all summer, and barely leafed.

I left them there, thinking, the roots would be getting strong and I'd have them next year. Now I think this was a mistake. anyway, with the first frost, the few leaves there were were frozen, and I'm wondering if there is any surviving plant.

My plan is to leave them alone and hope for the best. but I am discouraged by how pathetic they look!
I know these salvia are perennniel in my zone, cuz I've grown them before.

any comment?

thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ? on Yvonne's Salvia

I didn't know they were perennials anywhere. Here, they sprout and sit for quite a while. Maybe longer day lengths trigger them to grow and bloom. Not sure. But they always perform well for me in my whiskey barrels and large pots,

o

I've never any of mine over winter here in Oregon zone 8.

o

Yvonne's is a tall cultivar of Salvia splendens, native to tropical Brazil. It is a tender plant hardy to zone 10+ and grows as an annual. Highly doubt it overwinters in zone 7?? Mine die as soon as they are hit with frost.

o

yes, I think you all are right. I think I was mis-remembering. Maybe they re-seeded.

anyway, I pulled out the plant and it was a goner.

hope to get more seeds from some of you in the Spring!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here